Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Soup-er Cheap Split Pea Soup

It's been a while since I've blogged and I don't have any fantastic excuses except, well, life. I've felt less than inspired lately, I'll admit, because my normally strained budget has taken a major hit since the holidays.

My second job has pretty much hibernated for the winter and my regular paycheck was cut in half this month due to my employers year-end correction to tax miscalculations. Of course I don't want to be in trouble with the IRS, but eating a decent meal would be nice too!

Obviously no one's starving to death, but we have had to cut back in ways most people wouldn't actually believe if I wrote them all out.


Enough of the "poor-me" story though, I'm still rich in countless ways! I still have family and friends and hands to type with; Sharing warm, cozy meals and recipe ideas with family and friends makes me feel even better.
Things will be looking up soon; bills will be caught up, paychecks will be back to normal and cupboards will be stocked by the end of the month. Until then, enjoy a few of my go-to 'empty-pantry' favorites that are super-inexpensive but still yummy, filling and nutritious.

We should all make no-frills, basic meals like this more often!

 Basic Split Pea Soup
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
2 stalks chopped celery
 - - Use whatever vegetables you have in the 'fridge.
Turnips, sweet potatoes or parsnips work well, and they do NOT have to be in great condition, this is a great way to use up the older, dried out or tough, starting-to-wilt, ratty veggies; Obviously, as long as they aren't actually starting to spoil, mold or rot
.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound dried split peas
6 cups liquid - any combination broth and water that you prefer (I often just use water and season with random herbs)
salt and pepper to taste
Lemon (optional)

In a medium-large, heavy-bottomed pot, saute vegetables in oil until tender-crisp.
Add the split peas and broth/liquid to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper. (Or put everything in a crock pot).
On the stove, cover, bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer and cook until there are no peas left, just a green liquid, 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
In a crock-pot, cook on high for 4 hours or until done as described above.
You may need to add more water as the soup continues to cook.
Once the soup is a green liquid remove from heat, and let stand so it will thicken. (Optional) Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with lemon zest.

 Serve with toasted sourdough bread.

6 comments:

Tofu Hunter said...

Thank you for this post... I love the idea of some recipes based around a frugal meal. As always, great blog!

Rose said...

I love recipes that use inexpensive ingredients! I'll have to bookmark your recipe to save for later.

Recently, I made a potato soup that literally only used three ingredients - onions, potatoes, and broth. It was delicious and economical :)

radioactivegan said...

Thank you for this idea! It's the perfect soup for today (we only have five or six inches in Richland; I know you have way more!). I had to use yellow split peas, because that's all I had on hand .. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Carrie™ said...

Mmmm! Love pea soup. It's one of those comfort dishes that is inexpensive to make but big on taste & nutrition. I like the idea of a squeeze of lemon juice. Thanks for sharing.

Matt said...

Hey, Tofu Mom! Love reading your blog, and gravy escapades :P Thanks for the soup recipe, and I really hope your financial situation improves soon. Hang in there.

Katherine said...

I made this tonight- it was so delicious! The smell reminded me of my Grandma, who always used to make split pea soup for us when we would visit her.