Friday, November 19, 2010

Isa's "Punk Rock Chick Pea Gravy"

If you're collecting fabulous gravy recipes, (and you are, right? Vegan Month Of Gravy isn't going to be around much longer!) this is one recipe that absolutely-freakin'-everyone needs to have. And make. Often. Like, now.

This is the gravy that beats all gravies, hands down. It's another of my "recipes from someone else's cookbooks", another favorite I've used for years - invented by the queen of vegan recipes, the fabulously talented Isa Chandra Moskowitcz.

And what, you may ask, is this fabulously tasty, wonderful gravy-of-amazingness?

Punk Rock Chick Pea Gravy.

From the equally wonderful cookbook, Vegan With A Vengance.
The stuff of legends. Gravy of the gods. A meal in a pan.
If you haven't heard of it by now, you're missing out. I promise I'm not exaggerating, or making this stuff up.
OK, so, I admit *blush* it took me a year or so, after buying the cookbook to attempt this, back in my gravy-ignorant days. It's not something you whip up in thirty seconds, and doesn't have a short ingredient list, but that doesn't matter. The recipe is easy and the stuff is amazing. You WILL love it, I promise. I am addicted to the stuff, seriously.

Isa graciously gave her permission for me to post this recipe, (I want to make that clear), but it's also available in Vegan With A Vengeance (which, if you don't have already, you should go out and get, before you make the gravy because there's a bazillion or 150 other recipes that you'll love in there as well.)

She probably didn't know I have the world's crappiest camera and a poorly-lit kitchen in which to photograph said gravy, causing it to look FAR less appetizing than it actually is. Rest assured it's much prettier than this!

OK, seriously, enough raving about the gravy; As I've said many times, I don't use a lot of "other people's" recipes, but I see no sense in trying to improve on something that is THIS good. Really, really good!!

Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list, everything works together wonderfully. I now present to you (drum roll please...)

PUNK ROCK CHICK PEA GRAVY
Posted, with permission from the author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz

* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 + cups water
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
* 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (I use black mustard seeds sometimes, hence the black specks in my picture)
* 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
* 2 cups or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 2 pinches ground cumin
* 2 pinches paprika
* 1 pinch dried rosemary
* 1 pinch dried thyme
* 1 pinch dried oregano
* 1 pinch dried coriander
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 lemon, juice of
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
* 1/2 cup water, if needed

1. Mix the flour with 2 cups of water until the flour is mostly dissolved. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the olive oil, onions and mustard seeds; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are browned and the mustard seeds are toasted.
4. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
5. Add the chickpeas; use a potato masher to mash them (they don't have to be mashed into a paste, just make sure each one is broken up slightly; a few whole ones left are ok - though I usually mash mine up pretty well.)
6. Add the herbs and spices, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
7. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits of onion.
8. Lower heat and pour the flour mixture into the pan.
9. Stir constantly until a thick gravy forms.
10. Stir in the nutritional yeast.
11. If it looks too thick and pasty, add a little of the extra water and mix well. (I admit, sometimes I make this with soy or rice milk - makes it extra smooth and creamy. And we all know creamy gravy is gooooood.)
12. It may look like it doesn't want any more water added to it, but just keep mixing with a wire whisk, and it will loosen up. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Sadly, your plate will look like this when you're finished.
And you'll wish you'd made a double batch.

7 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

This is a classic VWAV recipe I haven't tried yet but I really should, yum!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever made this, even thought people talk about it all the time! Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll have to check it out.

celyn said...

I haven't made this yet either. What, am I crazy? It looks divine.

Vegan In The VI said...

I love this gravy as well, but oh! the energy involved in making it...I'm exhausted just thinking about it. So I just do the .99 Road's End Organic Packet of Gravy. But I guess that wouldn't be the most exciting blog post.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Interesting, I never thought it required any more energy than any other gravy.
I have never tried an "instant" gravy but I just cannot imagine they would be anything close to the same... Maybe I'll taste test some!! That would make a GREAT blog post, I think you're on to something!!

Vegan In The VI said...

There ya go! You could have a mashed potato bar with different gravies!

FYI, the little box of Imagine Wild Mushroom Gravy I had last night was just so so. No where near as good as the Road's End packet.

Anonymous said...

I think this was one of the 1st VWAV recipes I made... AWESOME gravy! Love it :)