Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bryanna's (wheat-free) Fat-Free Brown Gravy


Eeek! Somehow I almost forgot to post today's lovely addition to my "Month of Vegan Gravies"!! Whatever was I thinking!!

Today's entry is a LOW FAT gravy (you knew I had to post at least one, right?) and it's absolutely delicious!!
I have to admit I'd never tried this exact recipe before today, but when I asked my neighbor to the north, the fabulous Bryanna Clark Grogan, if I could blog her Fat-Free Brown Gravy recipe, she suggested this wheat-free version instead. I jumped at a chance to try it, and it's just as good as the original!!
I LOVE that it has a "Microwave" version, I haven't tried that, but plan to soon, just 'cause I'm curious.

If you're not familiar with Bryanna's recipe blog - "Notes From a Vegan Feast Kitchen", or her cookbooks and many wonderful recipes, I suggest you check them out SOON! She has awesome Holiday ideas and a bunch of fool-proof seitan recipes (which would ALL be good with this gravy, just sayin'...) that are some of my favorites, especially.

So, back to the gravy - I was making VeggieMommy's Pecan VeggieMeatballs for dinner anyway, and while I usually make them with a Sweet-and-Sour sauce, this seemed the perfect opportunity to test out the gravy instead. I am so very glad I did, as this is going to become a regular in the gravy rotation around here.

I used some wine, which Bryanna suggests as an option, (because you know by now that I use it often in cooking). I may have 'toasted' the flours a bit over-much, as they were a darkish tan, but the gravy still turned out really, really good!

The following is posted with permission from Bryanna Clark Grogan, written exactly she sent it to me. ~YUM!

BRYANNA'S FAT-FREE VEGAN BROWN GRAVY
(MADE WITH OAT AND CHICKPEA FLOURS)
"This fat-free and delicious brown gravy will become a low-fat staple."
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons oat flour (grind rolled or quick oats in a dry blender or electric coffee/spice mill)
4 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
(optional) a few shakes of gravy browner, such as Kitchen Bouquet

**"Ham" Gravy Variation:
Add 1/2 tablespoon ketchup, 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke

In a heavy saucepan over high heat, whisk the yeast and flour together until it smells toasty. Off the heat, whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt, and gravy browner, if using. Stir constantly over high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated.

Microwave option (this is what I use):
In a 1 1/2 qt. microwavable bowl, mix the flour and yeast. Toast this in the microwave on full power for 3 minutes, uncovered. Whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt, and gravy browner, if using. Cover and cook on full power for 3 minutes. Whisk. Cover and cook again for 3 minutes on full power. Whisk.
Note: You can make half the recipe in a 4-cup microwavable glass measuring container, and cook as above, but in 2 minute increments.

Variations:
You can use some wine instead of some of the water, if you like, and you can add steam-fried mushrooms, onions, vegetarian "hamburger crumbles" and other vegetarian meat alternates, if you wish.

Recipe Source
Author: © Bryanna Clark Grogan 2008

1 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I really need to try this recipe, it looks delicious.