Saturday, August 21, 2010

Easy, Basic, Chunky Garden Salad


I had, quite possibly, the most basic and NON-blog-worthy lunch today.

But it wasn't boring. In fact it was quite lovely and delicious - and actually pretty too! Best of all, it was cheap, because all but the bell pepper came from my Mom's or my gardens.

This tends to be my default when I'm bored with cooking or just can't think what else to make for lunch. Cut up whatever's in the 'fridge. Add dressing. Call it salad. I like the texture of the large chunks here, but cut things up however you like.

Here ya go:

Chunky Garden Salad

  • 1 cucumber, cut into chunks
  • 3 new potatoes, cooked, cooled and cut into chunks or cubed
  • 6 radishes, cut into chunks or sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped sweet white onion
  • 6 - 8 black olives, halved (optional)
  • several large handfuls of lettuce or other greens
Toss chilled, cut up veggies together, place on bed of torn lettuce greens. Add dressing of choice and serve. I tend to like this with a vinaigrette but a creamy dressing would be good too!

Easy Vinaigrette Dressing (not pictured)
  • 1 1/4 cups olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
  • 1 tsp. fresh rosemary
  • pinch each; Sea salt and black pepper
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until thick and completely blended. Taste and adjust by adding more salt, pepper, sugar or vinegar if needed.

8 comments:

kelli said...

i love cooked potatoes in my salads, and your vinaigrette sounds yummy!

Mama said...

I had never thought of potatoes in salad before. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I love salads...they are always so vibrant and colorful and fresh! Yours looks great :-)

Courtney

Tofu Hunter said...

You're in the Seattle area, right? Have you had pretty good luck growing bell peppers in your garden? For some reason I'd always assumed they needed more heat than we could provide... this could be an awesome development!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Sadly, the bell pepper, as noted, was not from my garden.

My folks DO have pretty good luck though - they grow the plants quite large in their green house and transplant only when the weather is warm, early July or so. Most of their peppers are large-egg sized but they get a few larger ones too.

Dino said...

Yes yes yes yes yes. When I'm feeling lazy, I just thin out hummus with a bit of water, and use that as a dressing.

Mama Motz said...

Oh my that sounds very yummy! I have a nice big cucumber in my fridge, and now I know what I have been saving him for ;)

Check out my blog if ya get a chance!

Gabriele Agustini said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog!
I'll be back,
gabriele