Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quinoa and Spring Mint Salad


YAY! My mint has returned after a long, cold winter and spring. I could hardly wait to put the first green leaves in something cool and refreshing and salad-like!

If you've never tried quinoa, this is a super-easy recipe to start with and SOO good! Quinoa is a lovely (and very nutritious) grain, or seed really, that's tasty and fast to cook. Follow the directions on the box, that's all there is to it! Find it in the grains or Natural Foods sections of most grocery stores.
Quinoa-Mint Salad

  • 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked according to package directions. I do mine in my rice-cooker with excellent results.
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 3 green onions, sliced with as much of the green part as is tender
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh peppermint leaves
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed in garlic press
  • Salt and lemon-pepper to taste
  • chopped nuts (optional)


Cook quinoa according to package instructions until light and fluffy. Remove from heat and cool on a cookie sheet.

In a bowl, mix olive oil, garlic and lemon juice into quinoa. Add mint, salt and lemon-pepper, and mix well.
Sprinkle with chopped almonds or other nuts if you so desire. I just happened to have them on hand today.
Serve chilled or at room temp.

11 comments:

Niki said...

Mmmm mint in salads is the best. This looks delicious and easy, gotta try it!

Helen said...

yummy!

I have mint in the window box so will be giving this one a try, I too love minty salads.

CB said...

this would be excellent with chopped dried (or fresh) apricots and toasted almonds, sliced or whatever. I had a couscous salad in that style last summer, but I never thought of using quinoa, which I am now obsessed with because it's so proteiny! and wonderful.

Bianca said...

I'll have to try growing mint again this year. I kill every plant I look at with my vegan death stare, but I always try.

Bianca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Pace said...

I love quinoa, and prefer it cooked than sprouted - this looks great!

Claudia said...

Yummy. I LOVE quinoa.

precious said...

This sounds a very refreshing salad! I would love to prepare this for the weekend.
baby cribs

Lynn said...

Quinoa frightens me - I had it one and thought 'never again'. You may have persuaded me otherwise.

Focus on Health said...

I just started growing mint and this recipe looks good!!!! :)

Nat said...

this looks delicious, can't wait to try it!! gonna add it the grocery list this weekend :o)