YAY! My mint has returned after a long, cold winter and spring. I could hardly wait to put the first green leaves in something cool and refreshing and salad-like!
If you've never tried quinoa, this is a super-easy recipe to start with and SOO good! Quinoa is a lovely (and very nutritious) grain, or seed really, that's tasty and fast to cook. Follow the directions on the box, that's all there is to it! Find it in the grains or Natural Foods sections of most grocery stores.
- 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked according to package directions. I do mine in my rice-cooker with excellent results.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 green onions, sliced with as much of the green part as is tender
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh peppermint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed in garlic press
- Salt and lemon-pepper to taste
- chopped nuts (optional)
Cook quinoa according to package instructions until light and fluffy. Remove from heat and cool on a cookie sheet.
In a bowl, mix olive oil, garlic and lemon juice into quinoa. Add mint, salt and lemon-pepper, and mix well.