Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Cheese" and Chive Vegan Biscuits

I could (or should?) post a long apology here about my Blogger-delinquency, but suffice it to say this house has three computers, all of ancient origin and design, and all of them have given up and died.

I am on a little, borrowed, slow netbook that seems to want to die as well. Who knows what the future has in store...

My post today was inspired by the chives I recently discovered had lasted over the winter. Who knew? I could have thrown them into some lovely Spring salad, but our weather has NOT been very Spring-like (regardless of what I may have said previously) so warm and cozy is still on the table...

I do not like "drop" biscuits, they look like rock-like lumps of dough to me, and while they are decidedly easier to make and less chance of hockey-puck-like results, I still much prefer rolled and cut-out biscuits.

Enjoy.

"Cheese" and Chive Cut-Out (as opposed to "drop") Biscuits


  • 2/3 c. plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk (I prefer soy)
  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine, cold
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, cool and solidified but not rock hard (or just use more Earth Balance but I think this makes much more tender and flaky biscuits)
  • 1 c. all purpose flour (I use plain ol' white flour, so shoot me)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup finely minced chives or chopped greens from garlic scapes
  • 1 cup finely shredded vegan "cheddar"-style cheese of your choice (I've used both Teese and Daiya with good results)

    NOTE: I usually "eyeball' this recipe, so please don't shoot me if the results aren't perfect, it takes a bit of playing with...

OK, so add vinegar to soymilk and let sit for five minutes - it should start to "curdle" a bit.
In another bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two forks, gently cut the Earth Balance and coconut oil into the dry mixture until crumbly. Mix wet ingredients with dry, adding just enough milk to make a kneadable dough. Do NOT over mix!

Gently knead in cheese and chives. Yes, with your hands. Add as little flour as possible and knead as little as possible.

Cover dough and put in fridge for 1/2 hour.

Pat dough mixture out 1/2 inch thick onto lightly floured board (If it appears too sticky to do this, GENTLY add a bit more flour, but the less you add the more fluffy and tender the biscuits). Cut into circles with biscuit-cutter or anything round. DO NOT "twist" the cutter, cut straight down!
Bake at 475 degrees for 10 - 14 minutes until dark golden brown and done.

8 comments:

Tofu Hunter said...

These look delicious! But much I love biscuits, I'm about ready for that spring salad weather to get on with it!

Danielle said...

Now, that is what I'm talking about! I'm with you on the drop biscuits- why even bother- but dang! Your biscuits look incredible. And cheesy, too? I'm in love!

Erin said...

They look amazing!

Bethany said...

boom! I'll get Andy on making those biscuits in the next few days (he's the head biscuit/pancake/waffle/taco shell maker of the house). Extra bonus: I'm super hungry right now and seeing yummy biscuits is too much - enough for you to forgive me in advance when I post some wayward food on FB tomorrow?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...

You frequently mention using sweet chili sauce as a condiment. Is this something you buy or make (and if you make it, would you post your recipe)?

Anonymous said...

So I made these biscuits and they taste great BUT mine do not look as beatiful and risen and fluffy as yours! I did not use the chives or cheese bc I just wanted plain biscuits. Any thoughts on what went wrong?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Kim, I'm not entirely sure, so many factors affect biscuits; but the ones pictured WERE the result of many attempts, some VERY much less than perfect.
Overmixing makes flatter biscuits, altitude affects them, moisture, the "freshness" of the baking powder/soda, it's hard to say exactly.