This recipe is actually a variation on a Peach-Chipotle BBQ sauce I've had around for ages. The mango-pineapple blend works perfectly and I may just make it this way from now on.
- 1 1/2 cups mango chunks, (or pineapple, peach or nectarine) peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (these come in a can around here - use whatever equivalent of something spicy that you have available - Sriracha sauce even works! )
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup liquid: apple or orange juice, water or white wine
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika (I use more because the stuff is like crack, but use what works for you, or leave it out if you can't find it, which would be sad)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro (no need to chop, the food processor will get it)
- 1/4 of a red onion, chopped small enough to fit in food processor
Blend all ingredients except cilantro and red onion in food processor until smooth. Simmer on low for about 1/2 hour stirring and adding liquid (apple juice, water or white wine) as needed to keep it from getting too thick. Chop cilantro and red onion in bowl of food processor until finely minced. Stir into warm sauce.
Keeps in fridge for several weeks, longer in the freezer (but then you're right back where you started, with something ELSE you need to use from your freezer.)
If you're using tofu, freeze firm tofu over night, thaw, press liquid out for several hours and then marinate in sauce.
Place on panini grill, BBQ or in oven and cook until done to your liking, adding more sauce as needed if on the BBQ or in the oven.
If using seitan or other mock meat products, place on grill or baking sheet and brush frequently with sauce or simmer chunks of whatever you like in the sauce - on the stove-top or in oven.
Serve with more sauce on the side.
AWESOME with Sweet Potato Fries!!