Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mango-Chipotle BBQ Sauce


So I've been on vacation (both mentally and physically) for a while, and apparently that meant a vacation from my blogging for much longer. It's amazing how easily we slip into other habits...

At any rate, I'm home and blogging and cooking and will be inundating you with recipes, ideas, pictures, opinions and trivia about my boring vegan life and family. Stay tuned (if you dare).

As for today? Well, my youngest 'Sprout' is home sick on the couch with ginger tea and a snuggly blankie, so that means a stay-home day for Mom as well... Might as well make it useful..... Since I've been hit with just a touch of the Spring Cleaning bug, it's "Clean-Out-The-Freezer" week here in the Fairly Odd kitchen, and I'm discovering all manner of interesting ingredients I need to use soon, or break down and just toss them - which I really hate doing. Too many memories of an empty freezer and 'fridge (and pocket-book) have made me very resistant to wasting ANY food, if possible.

So today, one of those "use or toss" is a 1/2 bag of frozen slightly freezer-burned mango-peach-pineapple chunks, presumably for smoothies. And ordinarily I would use these in a smoothie or two, but the excess ice-build-up leaves a bit too much "stale-freezer" taste for my picky palate. (Too much info?) Not to worry, a bit of frost on the mango doesn't HURT anyone, just a taste thing - cooking seems to remedy this, though I don't know any cooked-fruit smoothie recipes, so I had to get creative. Thus; Mango-Chipotle BBQ Sauce was born! I invented this last fall with another half-used bag of fruit, you'd think I'd learn!!Anyway, we liked this so much we've made it twice, with slightly different variations. I think my kids would drink it straight if I let them!

This recipe is actually a variation on a Peach-Chipotle BBQ sauce I've had around for ages. The mango-pineapple blend works perfectly and I may just make it this way from now on.

Mango-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups mango chunks, (or pineapple, peach or nectarine) peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (these come in a can around here - use whatever equivalent of something spicy that you have available - Sriracha sauce even works! )
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup liquid: apple or orange juice, water or white wine
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika (I use more because the stuff is like crack, but use what works for you, or leave it out if you can't find it, which would be sad)
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 cup cilantro (no need to chop, the food processor will get it)
  • 1/4 of a red onion, chopped small enough to fit in food processor

Blend all ingredients except cilantro and red onion in food processor until smooth. Simmer on low for about 1/2 hour stirring and adding liquid (apple juice, water or white wine) as needed to keep it from getting too thick. Chop cilantro and red onion in bowl of food processor until finely minced. Stir into warm sauce.

Keeps in fridge for several weeks, longer in the freezer (but then you're right back where you started, with something ELSE you need to use from your freezer.)

To use:
If you're using tofu, freeze firm tofu over night, thaw, press liquid out for several hours and then marinate in sauce.
Place on panini grill, BBQ or in oven and cook until done to your liking, adding more sauce as needed if on the BBQ or in the oven.
If using seitan or other mock meat products, place on grill or baking sheet and brush frequently with sauce or simmer chunks of whatever you like in the sauce - on the stove-top or in oven.
**Picture is of Gardein chunks simmered in the sauce until it got very dark and thick.

Serve with more sauce on the side.

AWESOME with Sweet Potato Fries!!

1 comments:

Diary of a Smart Black Woman said...

This sounds amazingly good!