I think cutting the leaves into thin pieces is key. Then dressing it ahead of time softens it up a bit. Unlike other greens, kale doesn't totally wilt when dressed ahead, so this salad is good for several days.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegennaise)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups kale greens (dinosaur/black kale or curly kale), shredded or chopped fine - measure after chopping, packed firmly in cup.
- 1 apple, shredded on coarse grater or food processor blade
- 1 carrot, shredded
In a large salad bowl, add the lemon juice, Vegennaise, ginger, salt and pepper, whisking to combine.
Add kale, apple and carrot and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit yourself, if needed.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.