Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Kale-Ginger Slaw


Happy St. Paddy's Day.

Here's a colorful, mostly-green recipe to celebrate with; a lightly dressed raw kale-slaw that is even better the next day!!
I think cutting the leaves into thin pieces is key. Then dressing it ahead of time softens it up a bit. Unlike other greens, kale doesn't totally wilt when dressed ahead, so this salad is good for several days.

Kale-Ginger Slaw


  • 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegennaise)
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups kale greens (dinosaur/black kale or curly kale), shredded or chopped fine - measure after chopping, packed firmly in cup.
  • 1 apple, shredded on coarse grater or food processor blade
  • 1 carrot, shredded

In a large salad bowl, add the lemon juice, Vegennaise, ginger, salt and pepper, whisking to combine.
Add kale, apple and carrot and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit yourself, if needed.

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

7 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Oooh! Yum! I haven't tried raw kale in a while -- your recipe sounds delicious.

Ricki said...

Any salad that uses raw kale is a winner in my book! And this combination sounds particularly tasty. I bet the ginger adds a terrific zing. And I agree, you really need to dress kale a bit early to allow it to "mellow"!

Bianca said...

I might actually like this. I typically avoid raw kale cause I think its yucky. But I bet it'd be good after sitting in the dressing for awhile.

Valen said...

This looks good! I will try it soon!

Karyn said...

I just had raw kale this week and it was really good! I always assumed I wouldn't like it. Now I have to try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

rgjr4444 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Outdoorgrrl said...

This salad gets rave reviews every time I bring it to a potluck. It's so colorful and tasty!