Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Poppyseed Noodles


Another Paula Deen comfort-food recipe turned deliciously vegan in my hot little hands... This one's mind-numbingly simple, and I admit I throw it together far too often when lack of creativity/time and ingredients strike.


Try it.
My kids really seem to like the slight 'crunch' of the little black seeds.


"Sour Cream" Poppyseed Noodles

  • 1 pound pkg. rotini or other corkscrew-type pasta (whole wheat if you want)
  • 1 tablespoon margarine
  • 1/2 cup Tofutti "Better-Than-Sour-Cream" or other sour-cream substitute
  • 1/2 cup soy or other milk
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • dash of Tabasco (just to brighten the flavor, NOT to make it spicy)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives (optional)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Cook and drain pasta according to package instructions.

Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir in Tofutti "Sour Cream" and soymilk and lower heat. Stir until warmed through. Toss the cooked pasta, poppy seeds, Tabasco, chives, salt and pepper in the sauce. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Debra said...

These look so good..
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Karyn said...

Oh my gosh! Yup, its very simple and it sounds so good!

I have a huge pan of veggies roasting right now and I wanted something creamy to go along with it. Thank you! I have a feeling this is going to be a "go to" favorite.

Bianca said...

I've been looking for more ways to use Tofutti sour cream! Love the stuff but rarely see recipes that call for it. Thanks!

Karyn said...

Thank you T N S! My Mom loved them..well, we all loved them, but she has Alzheimer's and its sometimes a struggle to get her to eat. She ate two helpings. Woo Hoo!