Saturday, May 02, 2009

Oatmeal-Blue-Corn Waffles


Well, I had lots of blue-corn meal and oats in my pantry so have been experimenting with our family's favorite breakfast food - Waffles!! I admit, these took a couple batches to "perfect". My sister is now gluten-free, so I'm experimenting in that arena sometimes too. I like that these turn out nice and crisp and not too heavy. If you try these, please let me know how they work for you.
Oatmeal-Blue-Corn Waffles

4 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp. ground flax
6 soft, pitted dates, chopped
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup blue (or yellow) cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (OR sorghum flour, I just tried this as a gluten-free version and they're GREAT!!)
1/4 cup chickpea flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract (or pecan or butter-rum flavoring)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp oil (you can leave it out, but they tend to stick after the first one or so...)

Preheat waffle iron. Blend water, dates and flax until liquidy.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for several minutes until batter is smooth, light, and foamy - add a splash of soymilk if too thick.

Pour a generous amount into lightly greased waffle maker. (I use a Belgian waffle maker, these work with a regular waffle maker, just need less cooking time) Cook for about 4 - 6 minutes or until waffle is golden brown and crisp.
Serve with Butter-Pecan Syrup.


Butter-Pecan Syrup


1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 1/4 cups maple syrup

Toast pecans in margerine in a small skillet for a few moments, add syrup and warm through.

9 comments:

Katy said...

YUM! I love the flavor and texture corn meal adds to pancakes, so I'm sure it's great in waffles too. And I just happen to have two bags of blue corn flour!

Anonymous said...

you made my life. I LOVE that these are gluten free and look sooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy.

aTxVegn said...

Those waffles look amazing! Thanks for a gluten free recipe.

Erin said...

Your waffles look perfect!

Cynthia said...

I know when you posted that photograph you knew we'd be drooling at it! :)

Dani said...

I made these today and they were very good! Thank you for a great recipe! And happy mother's day!

trina said...

Just made your butter pecan syrup for my regular old pancakes. What a way to perk up a Wednesday morning! Delicious! Thanks!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

Wow, those waffles look so good!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I bet my kids would love these.