Thursday, April 30, 2009

What to do with all those New Spring RADISHES!!

So, are some of you growing little gardens or visiting the local Spring Farmer's Markets or getting CSA boxes? I love all the beautiful produce that shows up locally at this time of year, one of my favorites being the simple, often ignored RADISH!!
I've had a bumper crop already this spring, and while I LOVE them raw, there are actually several tasty ways to enjoy them cooked tender crisp...

This recipe is probably the most unique use I've discovered for cooking with radishes, Indian Spiced (or sort-of curried) and so so GOOD!! Definitely give this a try!!
A local Indian restaurant makes something similar and this is my attempt to copy.
Indian Spiced Radishes


8 French Fingerling potatoes or any similar, small, new potato
12 fresh radishes - ends trimmed and sliced into medium thick rounds (or quartered, if you prefer)
1/2 cup cooked garbanzos
1/2 cup frozen petite peas (or fresh if you're that lucky!!)
1 onion - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste
1/4 teaspoon of each turmeric (or curry powder) and salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon of peanut oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch fenugreek seeds (optional - not necessary, but nice if you have them)
pinch fennel seeds (optional, not necessary, but nice if you have them)

Parboil the potatoes until tender but firm. Quarter and set aside.
Heat peanut oil in flat, dry skillet and toast cumin, mustard, fennel and fenugreek seeds just until they start to "pop".

Add the potatoes, onions, garlic, turmeric and salt.
Fry and brown a bit until onions are cooked.

Add radishes, peas and garbanzos, and stir gently until radishes are seasoned, warm, and lose a tiny bit of raw crunchyness... serve garnished with chopped parsley or mint.
Serve with warm Indian bread of your choice.

5 comments:

Katy said...

Can you believe I've never had a radish? I'll get around to trying them eventually.

The Voracious Vegan said...

What a great recipe! I love radishes and their sweet peppery flavor! Yum!

Clarissa Mansfield said...

Radishes are amazing--I just did a post about a radish greens soup I made a week or so ago--it was delicious. Your recipe looks good and I can't wait to try it!

Erin said...

Radishes in indian food, huh? Very interesting. I've stuck to eating them raw with dip and in salads so far, I'm thinking I may have to try this!

Susan said...

Thank you for this! I have radishes in my garden that aren't ready for harvest yet, but I will need a recipe when they are. There are always baja tempeh tacos from Veganomicon, but radishes are only a garnish there...this is a nice way to showcase them!