Saturday, March 21, 2009

Homemade Seitan "Wrap" from a Fairly OLD Tofu Mom

.
I must be getting old.
.
I know this because my ears are ringing and I am unreasonably exhausted. I blame it on late-night partying. Last night I attended the Jeremy Camp and Mercy Me "Rock and Worship Road Show Tour" with five of my girlfriends. Wild women, aren't we?
.
Perfect seats, 12 rows from the stage, what an experience!!! Yes, it was very loud. (See? I'm old!) But it was SO FUN!!! Completely awesome and amazing. If you're into Christian Music, or these particular artists, and this tour comes anywhere near your hometown, by all means GO!! GO!! And it's ONLY 10$ dollars!! One of the most meaningful and incredible evenings I have had in ages!!!

And even better? We started with an all vegan dinner at Seattle's lovely Bamboo Garden restaurant.
But back to feeling old - and the concert. Well, said concert ended after 11:PM and we ended up home after midnight - I was so wound up it took a long time after that to actually SLEEP!!
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
Here's what I found waiting for me in MY bed! Once I made room for myself to actually sleep in my bed, I crashed like a dead person.
.
I'm sure I used to stay up this late all the time with minimal effects on my energy level. But today, let me tell you, I FEEL OLD!! My butt is d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g...
.
Which brings me to lunch today - since I was completely out of ideas (or ambition) and apparently my children were dying of starvation because you KNOW I never feed them, I pulled a package of homemade seitan out of the freezer, thawed in the evil microwave and grilled it for some quick, easy "wraps".
.
If you make your own seitan, by all means freeze some of it for later. It defrosts easily and works perfectly in sandwiches, soups, stir-fry and any other quick meals you want to throw together. SO CHEAP too!!
.
Now, I am not fond of the word "wrap" so I'm not sure why I'm using it. I guess because it more accurately describes this sandwich than calling it a burrito. It's just a bunch of good stuff in a flour tortilla, call it what you want.
.
No recipe for the wrap itself, it's just homemade seitan using the Quick Seitan Cutlets recipe (to which I added sage and thyme - hence the sloghtly green color) from Vegan Dad's blog. I grilled the seitan to fabulousness in the panini press, cut into strips, wrapped in a flour tortilla with chipotle BBQ sauce, my own slightly amazing vegan ranch and baby greens.
.
DEEEELISH!!! Enjoy and have a great weekend. I'm back to Seattle again tomorrow for VegFest. My middle Sprout Daughter is going with me and ....(*gasp*) bringing a BOY WITH HER! Details later.

4 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

My boyfriend is a drummer, so I go to a LOT of shows. I carry a pair of earplugs in my purse AT ALL TIMES.

Between loud shows and being a preschool teacher, I'll be lucky if I have any hearing left at all in ten years! But I do what I can. :)

Carrie said...

I'm like that too now. I'm usually ready for bed when younger folks are just heading out for the evening.

That wrap (or whatever you call it!) looks really yummy!

Erin said...

I totally identify with not being able to go out and party like you used to! I feel like an old lady and I'm not even 30 yet.

The seitan wrap sounds great! I like the term "wrap", it describes exactly what it is. And I love wraps for taking leftovers that I might be getting tired of and turning 'em into something new.

Sarah said...

I love Daves Killer Bread! I havent seen it around since I've moved to Nevada, but it's some dang good hearty bread!