Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Vegan Ranch Dressing!

Supper was simple and boring tonight, but it's probably one of my kids' all-time favorites.

Sloppy Joes, which I can make blindfolded, and a HUGE bunch of fresh veggies dipped in ranch dressing. The Sprouts and I could live on veggies and ranch, I swear.
BV (Before Veganism) we were all HUGE Ranch Dressing addicts - almost harder to give up than cheese - and it's taken me many trials to find the exact recipe combination that tasted "ranch-y" and tangy and creamy enough for all of us. Here ya go... (Oh, and I'll post the Sloppy Joes another Day).

Enjoy.
Ranch-Style Dressing


2/3 cup Vegannaise (vegan mayonnaise)
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2/3 cup Sour Supreme vegan sour cream
2/3 cup pureed silken tofu
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp celery salt OR:1 tsp celery seed AND 1/4 tsp salt
*2 tablespoons chopped green onions (or fresh chives, chopped)
*1/4 teaspoon onion powder
*1 Tablespoon minced parsley (fresh is WAY better here)
*1 garlic clove, finely minced
(*You can whiz the chives, parsley, onion and garlic with a little soymilk in the food processor to speed up making the dressing)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Use an immersion blender to combine all ingredients, or shake in a jar with tight-fitting lid.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Chill for an hour or so to thicken and blend flavors.
Makes 2 cups.

9 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

Looks yummy! I can see this becoming one of my favorite dressings!

Unknown said...

I'll have to try this. My husband is a ranch fiend.

Sheree' said...

Oh how I love ranch dressing. I have not made a recipe or found a vegan bottled that I care for. I just printed your recipe and will give it a try. You are an awesome cook. OH, I want your sloppy jo recipe. I am tired of mine. hehehe

scottishvegan said...

Mmm...I'd like to try this. Do you know how longs it keeps for? It would take me a while to get through 2 cups of it and I wouldn't want to waste it.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Well, I'd been "ranch-less" for three years by the time I came up with this, so there is no guarantee that it's authentic... it just SEEMED like it was. It is "greener" than store bought ranch which my kids were a little concerned with at first.

Honestly, I have no idea how long it keeps, I'm embarrassed to tell you how fast we go through it. It will keep a week, I know. It starts to separate a little - not in a spoiled way (oh, I'm REALLY making it sound appetizing now!), but if you stir it, it's fine.

Anonymous said...

oh i must try it!

thanks so much!

bazu said...

I miss ranch dressing sometimes! Usually, I'm a vinaigrette type person, but sometimes, you just want to dip the darn things in ranch dressing!

clunkygirl said...

This is so delicious! I left out the tofu (because I didn't have any) and I added a squirt of lemon juice to make it a tad bit tangier. It's good enough to drink but I used it on salad to play it safe. Thank you:)

Heather B said...

I know this is an old post but I just stumbled across your blog and this recipe frantically searching for something for my picky visiting omni family. They loved it. I love it. Finally after 3+ years of searching for a good ranch replacement I've found it! Thanks so much!