Saturday, February 21, 2009

Did I Mention Our New Panini Grill?

Yes indeed.

Our kitchen is home to a shiny, new panini sandwich grill and we couldn't be more excited!
Loads of thanks to our friend, Shaun.
.
I think we were actually his tester Guinea-pigs, because after sampling only 37363536 amazing and tasty things we'd grilled, he went and bought himself one too!
.
The grill was actually a Christmas present specifically for my Middle Sprout. She'd had it on her wish list for over a year. No Ipod, no cell phone requests like most 15-yr-olds; this girl is truly the kitchen appliance queen and loves cooking, experimenting and playing with food as much as I do. We're fortunate that she's willing to share all the grilled goodness with the rest of us family members.
.
Now everything on our plates has those delicious toasty stripes. Even slabs of pineapple. (Without a doubt my FAVORITE!!)

Mr. Panini gets used frequently for quesadillas.
I've been having a lot of luck with vegan Tofutti slices; super-yummy with some cilantro, onions and tomatoes!
.
Avocado slices are good too, but my kids aren't fans of green goo oozing from their quesadillas. How sad. More for me.

Slices of potato turn out great! These had a little olive oil, pepper, sea salt and rosemary. I don't remember how long they took, but it was a while; do them on med-low so they cook through before browning to a crisp.
.
I didn't get a picture of the some of the tempeh - it was Shaun's favorite. Turned out pretty amazing too!! I simmered it in apple cider, let it marinate over night and grilled with a little soy sauce.

Grilled peanut-butter and sliced strawberries on thick whole-grain bread. Better than it looks!!
.
So decadent, but certain nine-year-olds like it better than junk food, that's always a plus.




And it actually makes AWESOME panini-type sandwiches too - who knew? Currently, I'm really liking grilled eggplant and portabello mushrooms on sourdough, or a tempeh-rueben.
.
If you've been considering yet another counter-hogging appliance, it's definitely a great multi-tasker. Lots of fun, super easy, get's dinner done FAST, hardly any clean-up, you don't need any oil for grilling most things.
.
Even vegans can get plenty of use out of these babies as our pictures show... Have a great week!!!!

14 comments:

Little Girl's Mom said...

I have to laugh. Your little one sounds like my son. He just bought a toaster oven at a yard sale and spent all day yesterday toasting things and baking.

I'm thinking I'll have to show him this so he can get me a panini grill, too. He-he.
Thanks.

Nicole said...

I love the grill marks :D

Alisa said...

How much fun! That all looks yummy.

beastmomma said...

This does look like fun; I have one silly question: when you are grilling pineapple or potatoes, do you put oil on the grill first and if so how much?

Veggie Cookster said...

Everything looks delicious! I think that's wonderful that she likes to cook so much! I hope my kids are like that! :)

Judy's Nutrition said...

Haha, I was also the kind of kid who asked for kitchen appliances for xmas and bdays. One year my sister and I both got our favourites - a waffle iron for me, and a sandwich maker/squisher thing for my sis. I think we were about 13 and 16...but happy as pigs in poop! And I actually have that same waffle iron, 14 years later...so I guess it was a good gift!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

very rad!

crystal said...

I just ate dinner, but this post is making me hungry! I think I need to find myself a panini grill...

Amy said...

Mmmm there is too much yumminess in this post! I want a panini grill! I have a health grill but it's all meaty (blech) from the omni other half :( I'm generally happy to share pans but that thing has a smell about it.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Ok, I'm sold. I need a Panini grill!

Trekkie said...

I TOLD my husband that we needed one!!!!

Jen said...

i'm excited about this. perhaps i'll ask the mr. to get me one for our wedding anniversary. and lemme tell you sumptin': i heart me some grilled pb&j sammies.

Sheree' said...

I want one too!! I am starving so I am coming to your house for lunch. :o) Good cooking!!!