Saturday, November 15, 2008

Rambling About Fajitas

I used to ramble on randomly, about my kitchen and family and foodie adventures - a lot more than I do now. Lately I've noticed my posts have become a rushed, "slam-bam-here's-the-recipe-ma'am" sort of thing. And to most of you poor readers, that's probably a good thing (just the fact's please, ma'am!!); but tonight I slowed down just a bit. I have no specific recipe and my cooking took a rather rambling turn, so that's what you get.

Around here, Friday is "Mexican Food" night; a weekly supper tradition started when the girls were little and their Dad cooked awesome and loaded nacho platters of cheesey insanity; I do have to give him credit there, they were good. But diets, ethics, relationships and the rest of life changes and evolves. These days, I do the Friday night (and every other night) cooking and it's usually enchiladas, tamales or tacos.

So, tonight, my youngest suggested fajitas. She'd been begging me to use the Field Roast Mexican Chipotle sausages I had stashed in the freezer. According to her, they're her favorite thing in the world and it wasn't FAIR to see them sitting in the freezer every time she opened the door and we needed to use them because they'd been there FOREVER. Well, things don't need to be quite as dramatic as all that, but it was a good suggestion, and as you'll see, her idea had DELICIOUS results.

Wow. Can I just say these were just INCREDIBLY yummy! No exact recipe, but I do think we stumbled on the perfect blend of spices and veggies.
I'll definitely do these again - (when I can afford the sausages, which isn't often, sadly. Yes, I tried making my own seitan Chipotle/Chorizo-style sausage, and while I love it, I just cannot duplicate the same flavor or texture as the fine folks at Field Roast, which is why they own a faux meat company and I don't...)

But I digress...
We cut 2 sausages into strips (which sorta crumbled, but my daghter specifically wanted "strips" I don't know why...) and fried (yes, I said FRIED, deal with it or substitute the word "saute" if it makes you feel more virtous) in a non-stick pan with strips of veggies;
1/2 an onion,
1 zucchini,
1 red bell pepper,
1 medium carrot, sliced paper thin so it cooks quickly
minced garlic and some tomatoes.

Have your pan HOT and throw everything in, stir gently until tender-crisp and browned in a few spots. No oil needed, the veggies and sausages have enough liquid. (So maybe that IS sauteeing instead of frying? Nevermind.)
You can use any vegetarian meaty thing you want here, but you may need to add spices and seasonings to taste, unlike with the Field Roast sausages.
Add the tomatoes at the last, just let them soften a bit, and for heaven's sake, don't let the sausage get dried out, you paid too damn much to let it do that!! (Add a little tomato sauce or even broth if needed, but not so much that you make a sloppy mess).

Serve in warm, flour tortillas with some vegan sour cream and/or guacamole (not pictured here because my youngest isn't a fan of the guac and this was HER idea, after all).

10 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, can I join you for Mexican night, please?? :-D

Carrie said...

These look so good! I simply adore Mexican food...I should make it a weekly tradition around here.

Tami said...

Mmm....those look wonderful!

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

I like the personal touch your posts have. I'd miss it if you left out your family anecdotes.

I've been meaning to try the chipotle Field Roast, but, you're right, it is expensive. I had the lentil-sage lunch slices last week and they were as good as everything else Field Roast makes =)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I think I am the only vegan on Earth that has never had Field Roast.
I like your rambling! Ramble on my friend, ramble on! :)

LucyDelRey said...

Your tacos look so yummy!! I have never had Field Roast either and there's a Whole Foods Market in close proximity. I agree with you Tofu mom that vegan convenience food can be pricey. I have tried several baked seitan recipes (faux sausages) and have has great success!! You need to watch the vital gluten to liquid ratio and adjust the flavorings (spices, broth, etc) accordingly (Asian, Mexican). You can ramble as long as you please... I always enjoy your posts. Happy unTurkey Day!!

Amy said...

I have zero access to anything other than my home made seitan sausages but OH! Your post is making me wish I could get my hands on some of those. YUM! (and heh, I fry stuff too, all the time :P)

Bethany said...

sounds really yummy. Mexican food night is a great tradition. I'm having tacos tonight, which is dangerous because it can turn into many nights of tacos :)

FR Connection said...

Hey Tofu Mom! Come by our new plant sometime for a tour!

aTxVegn said...

I enjoyed listening to you ramble. Your Friday nights sound fun and fajitas are always a hit.