Sunday, October 26, 2008

Maple-Dijon Glazed Root Veggies

Sunday Supper; I'm attempting to use some of the great store of root veggies I have in my fridge.
.
Today I used parsnips, shallots and golden beets which isn't very colorful, but the beauty of this is you can use whatever your family prefers!
Best of all, it is SOOO simple!
.
My Mom's garden provides almost more of these goodies than we can eat, but I'm not one to pass up free veggies, so my fridge is stuffed.

Consequently, I'm always on the lookout for different ways to use parsnips, turnips, beets, onions and carrots that my kids will like.
This combination has turned out to be a favorite. Even though I'm not a mustard fan it's a good flavor contrast to the sweet maple syrup and veggies.

Oven Roasted Maple Veggies
.
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion or 20 pearl onions, peeled
5 cups coarsely chopped or sliced veggies of your choice; turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, carrot, potato, yams, beets and/or golden beets.
.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss veggies and onions with the olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking pan.
Roast in oven for 15 minutes, then remove and re-toss on baking sheet.
Cook 15 minutes more. Toss again.
Cook another 15 min. Combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard and garlic powder in a small bowl.
Drizzle the maple mixture over potatoes and veggies and mix to coat well. Cook again until veggies (beets and potatoes will take the longest) are soft and glaze starts to caramelize and brown a bit.
Serve and enjoy!

9 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds great! This dish would be perfect for Thanksgiving.

-Julie
http://kindkitchen.wordpress.com/

VeganView said...

What a beautiful and tempting looking perfect dish for fall. I love the maple-dijon combo you have going on here.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Fabulous!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Holy crispiness! They look absolutely delicious!

The "Halloween Ghosts Rising Out Of the Brown Swamp of Gravy" sound too cool for words! :)

half pint pixie said...

that sounds so delicious, I'm going to cook it tonight :)

Jen said...

hey TNS, this looks good. i just made a batch of roasted root veggies, but i seasoned them with olive oil, salt, and rosemary. they were good, but the maple dijon sounds much better! props for using rutabagas!

Troy said...

Awesome! I can see this on the Thanksgiving menu. Thanks!

Bianca said...

Vegan have it so great! Maple-dijon sauce totally kicks honey mustard's butt! But most non-vegans don't know the wonders of subbing maple for honey...such a shame.

Crystal said...

This sounds so delicious I'm adding it to my Thanksgiving menu this year!