Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Italian Kale and "Sausage" Stew

Nothing terribly profound today, but after a quick look at my almost-finished-somewhat-neglected garden, I did discover late summer zucchini, plus onions and kale to use up like CRAZY; so I combined several Italian-Kale-Bean-Sausage soup ideas, (along with a few mismatched refrigerator leftovers because I'm frugal like that) and came up with supper.

No, it's not exactly "soup" weather but my kids liked it, no leftovers, so I must have hit on something... (plus it uses Field Roast sausage which is one of our all time favorites!) Sorry the picture's crap, the soup was not.



Kale-"Sausage" Soup

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 - 3 links vegetarian sausage, like Field Roast Italian, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
1 - 2 zucchini, quartered and cut into slices (about 2 cups?)
3 garlic cloves, (you know I used more!) peeled and crushed
6 cups or more!! chopped trimmed kale (I happen to be growing Lacinato or Black Italian kale, but use whatever you have)
1/2 cup water
splash of white wine (optional but I add it to everything)
2 (16-ounce) cans or 3 cups coooked cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped (optional but in my opinion, why would you leave them out?)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and veggie sausage 4 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add kale and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good - I just got my first package of Field Roast Sausages - I am excited to try them.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great dish!

Catherine Weber said...

Sausage is one of the only things I miss! (Well, that and chicken salad.) I'll have to get the gluten flour out soon and make some.

Thanks for the amazing soup idea! Sounds so delicious -- so many of my favorite things!

Lauren said...

YUMMY!! We ate this all the time (with escarole, and without sausage for me) when I was a kid. Yes, although I did eat meat then, I never liked sausage.. this looks delish! I am printing this recipe.

tofufreak said...

mmmmm- this would be great for cold weather comfort!

Jen said...

i think i'll prepare this when the weather gets colder. looks really good!

Bianca said...

I still haven't tried those field roast sausages! I've heard they're the bestest! They're just so darn expensive.

urban vegan said...

As good as your soup looks, and even though Mark Bittman featured a good vegan end-of-summer minestrone in today's NY Times, I just don't want to think about soup yet.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I could kiss you for reminding me about Field Roast products. I found them a year ago after I stopped breastfeeding my milk/soy intolerant daughter. I remember thinking at the time, "MUST remember this product for next baby!" Now, I am pregnant and SOOOO excited to find another vegan soy-free option to eat while breastfeeding our third child. I found that most are soy free. Whooo hoooo! :)

crystal said...

this sounds amazing! i love soup :)