Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sweet Summer Roadtrips #2

Hoping to keep the last days of summer from slipping from my grasp, I packed up 'Sprouts', towels, jackets and snacks and we headed to the beach. Not that I was chasing sunshine and tan lines... For the uninformed, Washington beaches are raw and beautiful, not known for their tropical breezes or warm, white sand.
.

But, sunshine was not needed for this adventure! Even with mist, fog and a freshly storm-washed beach, we had an absolutely wonderful time! Washington's beaches are a favorite destination, but they can often be blissfully deserted as they were today. Just us and the seagulls.
.

Neither the water nor wind was as cold as we had expected, and within minutes the girls were soaked waist-high; chasing waves, jumping small swells and racing sandpipers.
.

My youngest spent quite a while searching for shells and intensely discussing the lack of them with Shaun.
.
Recent storms had pretty much cleaned the beach. Probably not a bad thing, her "treasures" always smell up the car on the drive home...
.

Of course, after a long afternoon expending a great deal of energy in the wind and water, small tummies got to thinking about the 2-hour-drive home and the meager stash of snacks we'd already polished off. And Mom started pondering the improbability of finding vegan options at the few beach-themed fish-n-chip tourist traps.
.
So we attempted to clean off sand, wrapped ourselves in towels and headed to 'town'.
.
Luckily, the first NON sea-life-based eating establishment we discovered was Dugan's Pizza and they happily created an incredible cheese-free pizza overflowing with every imaginable veggie; artichokes, spinach, green and kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes and more - with a delicious sauce and crust that were vegan as well! We didn't even have to settle for the standard vegan salad (though seeing the salads our fellow diners ordered, I would have been equally impressed.)

Relaxed and exhausted, we said good-bye to the beach and headed home, full of pizza and a few more wonderful memories....
.

17 comments:

VeganVerve said...

Oh I so wish there was a beach 2 hours from me! Guess I'll "settle" for the mountains being even closer. But still, a beach (foggy or not) would be nice once in a while. I know my boys (aka my dogs) would love it!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ahh, what a fun trip to the beach you had - and that pizza looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you and the sprouts had fun - what a lovely family you have!

Carrie™ said...

Nice photos and what a great way to finish off summer. (not to mention the delicious pizza involved). I grew up on the East Coast, so most beaches around there are similar to this one, cool and deserted. I like those beaches best!

Chelsea said...

What a fun trip! The photos are beautiful, and I really like the colored borders you add. Yay for veganizable pizza!

Nicole said...

It sounds (and looks!) like a really fabulous mini vacation!

JENNA said...

It looks like so much fun. I love the beach and ocean when a storm has passed thru. Great job finding that delicious looking pizza amongst all the fishy places.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun and relaxing trip to the beach! and what a find for cheeseless pizza!!

also wanted to let you know that i nominated you for a fun blog award. you can see the details here.

Jen said...

pizza and the beach: two of my favorite things! btw, i facebook too! jennifer fish molica

aTxVegn said...

How nice to have the beach to yourselves!

Bianca said...

That beach is beautiful. Honestly, I prefer my beaches like that...on overcast days when the lack of nearby trees doesn't matter. And wow! What a fabulously-stuffed vegan pizza.

A Slice of My Life said...

Happy Birthday Girlie!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Kirby! said...

Aw, cute pictures! Looks like you have a really happy family :)

Destiny's Kitchen said...

You seem like such a great mom. I hope your kids realize how lucky they are! :o)

Cynthia said...

Now this is living. You are the best.

The Veggie Guy said...

Wow, a very tasty looking pizza! And it looks like you girls had a great time! Misty, overcast days are excellent for beach excursions.

Unknown said...

I too love vacations & vacation trips also.