Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vegan-Cheesy Zucchini and Corn Casserole


MMMmmmm... supper last night, full of garden yumminess...
That yellow blob is a zucchini and corn casserole I stole from Paula Deen or someone over at Food Network and completely re-wrote and veganized as my own. Sorry for the disjointed recipe, I sorta scribbled it as I cooked...
Also, we had some heirloom tomatoes, and quinoa with carmelized onions.


"Cheesy" Zucchini and Corn Casserole

5 or so tender zucchini (about 8 inch long), sliced or chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 lg. garlic clove, minced
1 can or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1/4 cup roasted green chiles (optional, I didn't have them when I took this picture but added them the next time...)
1 Tbsp. dry vegetarian "chicken-flavor" bullion-broth powder
1/4 cup water
Saute onions and garlic in several tsp. coconut oil or vegan margarine until tender-crisp.
Add zucchini and corn (and chiles if using), sprinkle with broth powder and water, cover pan and saute until zucchini and corn is tender. Check to make sure mixture stays "juicy".
SAUCE:
Make a medium cream sauce, using the juice drained from cooked zucchini.
Add soymilk to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Bring to boil in small sauce pan.
Mix 2 Tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water.
Add to hot soymilk and cook, stirring with a wire whisk, until thickened. Turn heat very low.
Whisk in 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp lemon juice (or umeboshi vinegar), 1/2 tsp onion powder and salt and pepper to taste. (Add a sprinkle of turmeric if you like the yellow "cheesey" color.)
Remove from heat.
Pour sauce over zucchini mixture.

Pour in 9 X 9 casserole pan, top with bread crumbs, cracker crumbs or french-fried onions if you want. Bake 20 min at 350 until sauce is bubbly.

11 comments:

Chelsea said...

I want that supper! The casserole looks scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

That casserole sounds delicious! I love zucchini and "cheesy" things...I must make that!

Courtney

Unknown said...

YUM! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm excited about all the awesome recipes you have posted here! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks so good - what lovely tomatoes! You do have to go some to veganize Paula Deen!

Lauren said...

Mmm.. nothing like a good casserole!!

Binx said...

yum-- looks so great! veganizing one of paula's dishes is like punching her the face. hah! take that, you butter obsessed crazy-lady!

sometimes i do wish she'd attempt to make something even mildly not-unhealthy. it doesn't even have to be healthy! just healthi-er. :)

Alicia said...

Veganizing Paula Deen is one of my favorite things in the world to do! This looks great! And I'm all about eating fresh tomato slices with dinner.

Bianca said...

Oops! That last comment came from me. I was on a work computer and logged in to someone else's account.

A Slice of My Life said...

It looks yummy!

I have to tell you that your recipes have helped me so much in the feeding of my child. (It's even giving a vegan bent to the rest of the family!)

aTxVegn said...

Those tomatoes are gorgeous! I'm hoping to grab the last of the season's tomatoes and peaches from the market tomorrow.

elizabeth said...

Oh yay! I made this and it was very good! Hoo-rah, it uses up a lot of zucchini! Thank you for the recipe! It's a keeper!