Saturday, August 16, 2008

There's a New Driver On The Road...


LOOK OUT WORLD!











Yes, congratulations are in order. (Or sympathy, if you're talking to ME). My oldest Sprout completed Driver's Education today. She was very excited. I was very nervous.

Here she is with her little certificate (I photoshopped out all the important stuff just in case my Mom reads this and worries about privacy on the Internets and all....)

Actually she's a great driver. I feel old though...

And here's the celebration cupcake waiting for her on the dashboard of our car.

I know I'm the only person on the planet who has not had Vegan Cupcakes Take Over Their World yet... call me a non-conformist.

I simply use the old egg- and dairy-free "War Cake" or "Wacky Cake" recipe I grew up with, making it into cupcakes instead of a sheet cake. I believe it's just about the same as the book anyway. Turns out perfect, tender and very chocolate-y!!

Chocolate Cupcakes

1 cup non-dairy milk or water (I use almond milk, I don't like the way water works in these so well, even though that's what my Grandma used)
1 teaspoon vinegar (cider or white)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup regular ol' Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°F .
Line a muffin pan with liners.
Whisk together the milk (or water) and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle (obviously it won't curdle if it's water). Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract to the milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).

Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

FROSTING

1/2 cup shortening OR 1/4 cup coconut oil in a semi-solid state (use this if you won't have the cupcakes in a warm area)
1/2 cup Nucoa margerine (or other vegan margerine)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup soy creamer

INSTRUCTIONS
Beat the shortening and margarine together until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy. Add more sugar if needed to make it firm, I sometimes do.

12 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh dear, I'm feeling quite lame right now.. I'm 16 and still don't have my learner's permit! Guess I just don't have the motivation, since I walk and bike and bus everywhere. :S

I use a similar recipe EVERY TIME I make chocolate cakes, and wacky cakes are most definitely the best!

Nicole said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I remember how nervous I was when I had to take my driver's test..it was awful!

Yum, I love chocolate cupcakes. That frosting looks like vanilla soft serve. Mmm!!

Anonymous said...

Cupcakes looks so yummy. And your sprout is driving - holy moly. That would freak me out too. Of course I could have a college kid at this point (if I had given birth right out of high school)but alas no sprouts for me.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Best of luck to the new driver!! :0)

Mmm, gorgeous cupcakes!

VeganCowGirl said...

Congrats!

Jen said...

you are such an awesome mommy!

aTxVegn said...

Congratulations to the new driver! I remember when my son got his license. It is scary, but I was rather proud since he is a great driver and I taught him to drive!

I love wacky cake. Have you ever made a vanilla version or could you help me with a recipe for one?

A Slice of My Life said...

Wahoo congrats to your new driver! How long until she goes in to get her license? Now that's a scary time for a mama!

Did you know you could cook those cupcakes in the microwave? I just made some last night...2 minutes...talk about your instant gratification!

Tracy said...

Ack! I'm only a year and a half away from being a three-driver family myself, and I'm scared sh**lss, not gonna lie! I missed your blog while I was away, Tofu Mom, and I'm looking forward to checking in regularly again.

Bianca said...

Congrats to your daughter!

And you're right about the chocolate cake recipe being similar to Isa's. It's almost the same from what I can remember.

urban vegan said...

Uh-oh!

I'd say passing your driver's test is definitely cupcake worthy. Congrats to your daughter.

And no. I didn't taste Inca Kola. It reminded me of pee, and I could not get past that. A Japanese girl sitting next to me on the plane to Cusco tried it and made a face. She said it was too sweet.

Carrie™ said...

Congratulations to your daughter. It is very exciting!
That war cake or wacky cake was one of the very first baking projects my mom let me do. The recipe she had was made right in the cake pan, so the only dishes I had to wash were measure cup & spoon and a fork. I like yours better. ;o)