Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pasta Puttanesca

















Not much to say except... you must make this. (Oh, and the picture doesn't do it justice!)

I know, normally Pasta Puttanesca has anchovies in it, but it's plenty easy enough to make without. You won't even miss the annoyingly salty dead fish. Do make sure you include the capers though, even if you're not sure you'll like them. They totally make this dish.


PASTA PUTTANESCA!

1 tbsp flavorful olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed through garlic press or grated finely with a microplane grater
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp capers
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (not the generic black salad olives, please!)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or less to taste
dash salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp olive brine (adds that sharp salty taste!)
2 (28-ounce) cans Roma plum tomatoes, broken into pieces, (just crush them with your bare hands like Emeril does, or mash with a potato masher) with juice
About 1 lb. cooked pasta


Lightly saute the garlic in olive oil for a minute or two - really, just warm it enough to start it cooking, do NOT brown! Add the basil, capers, olives and red pepper flakes, and cook for another two minutes.
Reduce heat to low, and add the brine and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for at least fifteen minutes.

Serve over pasta, sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast if you want and I always add a few more capers (no, those are not overcooked peas in the picture! Please!) 'cause I love the things!!

12 comments:

Tracy said...

As soon as I saw this, I thought, Series of Unfortunate Events!!! (It's prominently featured in the book...)
I may just have to try this, but, well, I've never had capers and I already know I'm not fond of olives. Who knows, we'll see. Looks great though!

MeloMeals said...

YUM! I love this

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yes, I agree - Pasta Puttanesca is definitely a pasta dish that EVERYONE should make/eat. It's fabulous!! Especially when anchovy-free ;0)

Julie said...

oooh that looks really really good

Bianca said...

That looks amazing! I've never had Puttanesca, but I want to try it now! Oh, and I love capers!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That looks really good! A little trivia for anyone who's interested: "Pasta alla Puttanesca" literally means "Pasta the way a whore would make it". Haha!

esther said...

absolutly delicious, I'll be sure to try this this evening, thanks for the recipe!!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

yessss pleeeeeeease!

Catherine Weber said...

I love Pasta alla Puttanesca, too! I haven't been fond of capers in the past, but I do love them this way! (And the more olives, the better!)

bazu said...

I have to have it at least once a week or I will die. That's right, I will DIE without pasta puttanesca. There I said it.

esther said...

tried your recipe two days ago....it's just amazing!!!

Susan said...

This looks so good, and easy, too. We will definitely need to have it soon. Thanks for another great recipe!