Monday, May 05, 2008

Oven Fried Potatoes

I was craving those gross, greasy convenience-store Jo-Jo potato wedges tonight.
.
Don't ask me. I'd like to blame PMS or something logical, but in reality I just LIKE crispy, salty, fried, potato-ish things...




Thus, the invention of this recipe.


Easiest, Crispy (oven-) "Fried" Potatoes.


4 medium Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thin (aprox).
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs or finely crushed crackers (I whiz it in the food processor for a couple seconds...)
2 Tbsp. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. EACH: salt, lemon pepper, dried parsley, onion powder.
pinch of cayenne
1 Tbsp. olive oil
.
Mix all dry ingredients together in a tupperware type container with tight fitting lid.
Slice potatoes, put into mixing bowl, drizzle oil on them and mix with your hands until all potato slices are lightly coated.
.
Put 1/2 the potato slices into tupperware, snap on the lid and shake until all pieces are coated. Lay on a cookie sheet, pieces can slightly overlap.
.
Admittedly, the filling doesn't stay on THAT great, so be careful when laying them out...

Repeat with rest of potatoes.

Mist with a little olive oil. (Or cooking spray if you don't have an oil mister).

Bake at 450 degrees until potatoes are soft and start to brown - about 15 min. or so. (If you want, you can turn them half way thru cooking time, but it isn't necessary.)

Turn broiler on for a moment and WATCH carefully and let potatoes get a little browner. When they're done to your liking, remove.


Enjoy!!

12 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, I used to love those greasy Jo-Jo potatoes when I was vegetarian (& ate a lot of crap, haha). These sound SO good!

Anonymous said...

i never had jo-jo potatoes, but this ones surely looks tasty!!
thanks for the recipe.

Calimaryn said...

Oh my those look good! YUM!

The Veggie Guy said...

Very nice... I've been looking for a good way to make "Fried" potatoes without using all of the oil.

These sound positively wonderful!

Bianca said...

Mmmm....I love fried gas station Jo-Jo's too! These look like a healthy alternative.

Anonymous said...

Yum...Jo-Jo potatoes are heaven! I have not had them in years...now I am craving them!

Courtney

Cynthia said...

I do like oven fried potatoes.

You should try parboiling the sliced potatoes in salted water for 3 - 4 minutes, pat them dry, drizzle with chopped herbs for your favourite spice mixutre and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, they are sooooo good!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

oh wow!

tofufreak said...

YUMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!! im super hungry now!

さくら said...

It became reference very much!!
Moreover, it comes (^o^)/

Please link to this site

Sheree' said...

I am sitting here eating a grapefruit at work and dreaming of fried potatoes. :o) I want these now! I don't want to wait until tonight. :o)

John said...

Hi Marti, this is Suzanne's brother John. Those are some excellent pictures of the food at the wedding!

The significance of the Coke can is that it's in Russian - it's an Olympic year, I guess they have all kinds of Coke cans from around the world. My son got one just like it on the plane ride out to Seattle.