Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sourdough Pizza

A while back, I raved about the sourdough starter that Jody sent me. Well, good news - you'll be happy to know I've been using my precious sourdough starter regularly and it's stayed quite healthy and happy for me...
















Last week my kids and I made the most amazing pizzas, complete with thin, light, crispy-but-tender sourdough crust.

Good blogger that I am, I took a bunch of pictures, but then quickly became a lazy blogger and let them languish in my camera while I went on to other things...


However, while catching up with all my blog friends last night, I was inspired by Bazu's absolutely mouth-watering "All-Things-Sourdough Post" . (Actually ALL of your blogs inspire me!!) But since I'm currently elbow deep in sourdough experiments myself, this was just the kick in the a$$ I needed to get my little (or BIG) blogging butt in gear and post my sourdough adventures as well!
Not that mine are even close to the culinary sourdough perfection over at Bazu's blog... Eh well... regardless, I still need to get these pizza pictures off my camera.















Here's the crust. I thought it looked pretty good, even just sitting here all pale and nekkid. After making the dough and letting it rise a good while, I rolled it out pretty thin. No recipe really. Just the same as I'd do for bread. It made enough for two crusts, one for me, one for the kids...

Spread some tomato sauce made last year from end-of-the-summer over-ripe tomatoes. Wonderful stuff!

My littlest Sprout put her favorite pizza topping carefully on... sliced Tofu Dogs. Oh yum! But wait, if this isn't "gourmet" enough - there's OLIVES to follow!

Next, I mixed up a "cheeze" sauce. Again, no recipe. This really was an evening for winging it. I just blended a bunch of stuff and "melted it on the stove... nutritional yeast, cashews, Earth Balance and some mozzerella-style Scheese. Wooooo... very good!

Then I topped my pizza (the good one) with some sliced, lightly broiled eggplant (and not pictured - some sauteed mushrooms and carmelized onions - drool!)

And poured the "Wonder-cheeze" sauce over both pizzas and popped them in a very hot oven.

The sauce bubbled and browned and the crust rose perfectly!

End result; a hot, toasty, TOTALLY CHEESY eggplant-mushroom-onion pizza. It was way too good, I grabbed a slice before I even got a picture taken. (The kids' tasty hot-dog-and-olive creation is pictured at the top of the post. It was equally delicious, according to all reports.)

14 comments:

Veggie Cookster said...

Looks delicious! I love homemade pizza. I need to find some starter and give the sourdough a try; my BF loves the stuff.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

my goodness, this pizza looks SENSATIONAL!! and bazu's sourdough crust recipe definitely looks like the perfect one to try :0)

JENNA said...

kids that like olives on there pizza! i never heard of such a thing. lucky you!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I know it's from a few posts down, but your dog looks *just* like mine :o).

Jody from VegChic said...

Funny, Bazu inspired me to make a sourdouh pizza too. The sd is currently feeding on flour in my oven while I am at work. When I get home, sourdough pizza for dinner!

The cheese sauce looks great too

bazu said...

ok, you've inspired me to make sourdough pizza again! can't leave my little pet starter unfed, can I?? Your pizza looks so good. I usually don't put cheese on pizza (too lazy to make, too cheap to buy) but you've inspired me to try a cheezy sauce next time. Yes!

Emmie said...

Wow, I'm loving your pizza!

Amy said...

Mmmm looks delicious!!! I'm a bit too scared to try sourdough. I really need to get over that fear and give it a try!

John Paul Zavada said...

Can I come and live with you...please???? You've threatened to steal my heart before, but now you've gone and done it fully by loving sourdough as I do. Sigh. I wish I had time to cook like you do. :)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i gotta get my hands on some sourdough starter. the pizzas look way too good!

Anonymous said...

looks so good!!

Unknown said...

Sourdough pizza sounds great. I never thought of that. I make my own bread. I've always wanted to do sourdough, but never got around to it.

Hot dogs and olives? Hmmm, no comment.

TB said...

OMG your pizza looks SO GOOD. I'm drooling over here! ...and vowing to get myself one of those sourdough starters everyone's always raving about. I love sourdough!

Unknown said...

We love homemade pizza! Your eggplant pizza is mouth watering.