Friday, October 05, 2007

Beach "Vacation"

So... where have I been and why haven't I blogged?

Well, it so happens that my Middle Sprout, and my middle sister, and yours truely took a random little vacation to the beach. At no charge!

Grandma (my Mom) thought we needed a break and set us up for a few days at the Shilo Inn at Ocean Shores.
No, no... no need to be jealous. Not your stereotypical warm sand and blue water "beach" vacation... Oh no - this was an adventure to one of Washington's cold, wet, windy beaches... Yes, I know some of you live in equally wild, storm-prone locations. Just clarifying for anyone who was thinking of palm trees and white sand...














I'm not complaining. It was rather nice actually. Peaceful. Restful. DEFINITELY "off season". And cold! Quiet, no one was around, we basically had the town, and beach, to ourselves... The hotel was wonderful, we brought snacky things (knowing there weren't any veggie options to speak of) and we honestly spent a lot of time sleeping, Jacuzzi-ing and watching pay-per-view.

HOWEVER: We also spent a LOT of time on the beach! Sometimes in the middle of the night or during storm conditions. My sis is a die-hard "walk-and-wade-on-the-beach" fanatic and we had to drop everything and troop off to the waves whenever the fancy struck her!
See the sign? I told my sister that going wading - at MIDNIGHT - wasn't a good idea. Of course they were much more adventurous than I am, so we went anyway... we could have been caught by a shark. Or tidal wave...




















30 MPH winds and rain blowing straight sideways! Were we crazy? Yes. Was it fun? Actually a lot yes!
This is my crazy sister and Miss Middle Sprout. Gosh, they look ridiculously cheerful! ...and wet....














See below... Proof that we didn't get washed away in those "dangerous rip tides" and so forth. My sister said I was a wimp. I am. The spots are rain on the camera lens. It was insane wet and cold! And did I mention midnight? I could barely see anything! And we had to walk miles and miles or a few blocks in the pitch dark to actually GET to the waves... in the dark.

















We didn't stand around on the beach the entire weekend of course. We drove around and did some tacky tourist shopping in the few stores that were actually open.

Oh, and I LOVED this sign!! Good to know they watch out for ALL the wildlife!




















Lest I forget to mention it... The high point of the weekend, (at least for my Sprout), was DRIVING ON THE BEACH!! Yes, My crazy sister let my 14 year-old sprout DRIVE! In the wind, and rain and typhoons and ...(OK, I admit, it was fun too, and my sister isn't all that crazy - maybe just a little!) And doesn't Ms. Sprout look like SHE'S happy?











And highlight number two... a veggie sandwich at Subway. (I know, such a high point!) We never go there, but it's my daughter's all-time favorite restaurant food (could be worse I guess...) so I indulged her - and honestly, places serving something OTHER than dead-clam-chowder were pretty much non-existent.















A final wet, windy day picture. We had serious trouble holding the camera still or even standing up straight, yet we kept going back to the beach. OK, we're ALL a bit crazy...












And since this is a food blog after all... a pic of the awesome spicy-sweet potato fries at the one and only place (besides Subway) that served anything vegetarian. So yummy! Definitely the FOOD highlight for me.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Given that I'm petrified of actually going into the ocean AND that I love, love, LOVE storms and windy miserable weather, your holiday sounds absolutely perfect and I would have been right there on the beach with you all!

Unknown said...

What fun! Your sister does sound a little crazy! ;)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Henry is a rat terrier (a.k.a. toy fox terrier). We adopted him too :o).

Anonymous said...

sounds fun and crazy at the same time!

Anonymous said...

I love that sign. I wish I could get one for my neighborhood. Although people here are cruel rednecks. They don't even slow down for the kids playing street hockey.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

A Special Ed teacher AND a vegan AND you have a rat terrier-- that's sooo much like my family :o). (Well, actually I am the only vegan in my family, but still!)

Special Ed teachers are wonderful; the world needs more people like you!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I looove going to the beach - your vacation sounds/looks like it was a fun time, for sure!! and that road sign is fabulous - we need more of those!!

Avory said...

Wow, despite the crazy weather this post makes me miss living on the East Coast! I'm just dropping by to let you know about a food blogging event I'm hosting, called "A Vegetarian Feast." The first round is thanksgiving themed, but broadly it can include any vegetarian dishes that use fall ingredients or make you think of Thanksgiving. I'd love to have some vegan bloggers get involved, and if you're interested in participating or mentioning the event on your blog, you can find details here. Thanks!

aTxVegn said...

I guess a deserted beach is the best place for a 14 year old to drive! Sounds like a fun vacation.

Cynthia said...

Sounds and looks like you gals had a great time.

madeinalaska said...

Hey there your beaches are totally like ours.. ummmm, mostly everyday!!! and by the way we did a two week vacation in the states this summer and we went to subway soooo much in the end the little ones were like NOOOOOOOO not subway again! but, really it was the only vegan road food available.... we did get to mix it up once in awhile with taco bell.... (not the same in my book though)
Julee

Monika K said...

Glad to see that you had such an awesome, albeit cold, time. (-:

urban vegan said...

Looks chilly--but fun to be with loved ones.

bazu said...

How fun!

Amy said...

I just got back from Cape Cod (Massachusetts) so I know what you mean about beaches in the off-season. Our beach wasn't as cold as yours looks though!

Dori said...

Your vacation sounds .... chilly, but good times with family are always the best. I enjoyed reading your post about NCLB. As I have re-entered the educational workforce I am gaining opinions of my own. It was comformting to come in and be inspired ny the great food.