Monday, September 24, 2007

Oh My Gosh, Where Did The Summer Go?

Whew! Life has turned insanely busy with the whole kids-back-to-school and me-back-to-work Season...

The Unnamed School District I work for, in their infinite wisdom, moved me to a brand-new Special Ed. classroom this year. Which they neglected to tell me was (under)staffed with unqualified, crazy people who had no business or experience working with Special Needs students - which I guess worked out OK, they all quit or were scared off after a couple days.

I kid you not - 3 weeks into the school year we have gone through, let me count... 3 Lead teachers, 4 assistants and 6 Classroom Support Teachers have come and gone (Yes, even the die-hard Support Teachers like me! Except I haven't quit!).

Oh, and did I mention the Administration's belated "apology" for placing the children with the highest needs (serious behavioural issues!!) here in my classroom when they "realized some staff might not be the best fit..."(Absolutely true story. But that's the short version. Ah... really, it's a story better left for another time.)

I'm not here to vent. I swear. It will get better. It WILL.

I'm here to share the little "Field Trip" the kids, dog and I took to my Mom's garden. She somehow lives out of the cool zone that we're in, and her little green acre is still producing enough for a small country.

We hung out for the day playing in the garden, visiting Grandma and picking veggies. The dog couldn't believe all the wide open space. He was happy, happy, happy. Only, when we pitched rotten tomatoes to the sidelines, he somehow thought they were tennis balls that he needed to chase, poor thing.

My daughter found her very own 8-lb baby zucchini that for reasons unbeknownst to me, she HAD to name Marge. It'll be great for zucchini bread anyway. Sorry Marge.

I thought the praying Mantis I found among the beets was far more interesting, but my bug-phobic offspring weren't so thrilled...

Then there's this great shot of my Mom and her ten-foot tall sunflowers! She's so proud of them! The pic doesn't do them justice however. They (flowers AND my Mommy) are WAY more gorgeous up close, of course!
We came home with boxes of produce; tomatoes, giagantous beets, peppers, turnips, corn, squash, parsnips, cabbage, greens and potatoes... (again, crappy picture - my BUG pictures are better than the veggies lately - what's up with that!?!) that I happily froze, canned, and cooked up into all sorts of garden yumminess. I feel like I'm ready to hibernate and face the winter with my pantry (and freezer) well stocked.

Happy Monday.

9 comments:

bazu said...

Ok, your mom has the coolest garden ever- will she adopt me so I can go visit too? Marge is hilarious! She puts my ginormous zucchini to shame, seriously.

radioactivegan said...

Hey, I know this may be a touchy subject for you (my mother-in-law is a special-ed teacher, too), but I would love to see a post with your thoughts on the no-child-left-behind act and it's impact on your work. I understand that the challenges this legislation has brought on special needs kids are even more imposing than in the other school areas.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

once i again, i find myself being jealous of someone else's garden. i WILL have one of my own one day!!!

Cynthia said...

You made quite a haul. Can't wait to see the things you make with themm.

Sorry to hear about the stress at work.

Jody from VegChic said...

Those are some impressive sun flowers and holy cannoli, that is a huge zuke.

Hmmmm, the school situations sounds frustrating and possibly detrimental to the students. They are lucky to have you...they need people who care!

BTW - How cool is the care package from Garden Burger...really that is awesome.

Verdant said...

Oooooh, this really make me miss the CSA I was a member of in Florida. Marge is the biggest zucchini I've ever seen!

John Paul Zavada said...

You zucchini MURDERER!!!! (he spat) I pray Marge has mercy on your soul. :D

Y'know, there are several kids with major behavioral problems in my group too. They are very much not equipped to deal with such things. The one kid has violent tantrums at least once or twice a week. I feel ya! Yes, we DO need to exchange words. It's been too long. :)

MeloMeals said...

Wow... that is one big zuke! Damn...

I am interested in your thoughts on Jamie's question here too... also, your thoughts on mainstreaming? (hehe, and this is a food blog?)

I really feel for you... I think teachers, especially special education teachers, are so underappriciated.. I could NEVER do what any teacher does, day in and day out. I simply do not have that emotional reserve...

scottishvegan said...

Sorry to hear work is not so good. Love all your pics, especially the sunflowers picture! And what a courgette/zucchini! How can you eat poor Marge?!