Saturday, August 25, 2007

Potato Bread and a Veggie Sandwich!

I really don't bake bread too often, but I've been suffering "Bread-Machine-Abandonment Guilt" lately and I had some yeast I wasn't sure was still good, (obviously it was fine!) so I decided to give it a shot.

This potato bread is one I've been making forever, and it always turns out so nice. Moist, dense and holds together. Lovely for sandwiches.
I have no idea where it came from. Sorry.

Yes, it's obviously made with glaringly white flour, I was out of whole wheat flour. Call the carb police. Send the fiber patrol after me, I don't care. It was GOOD!

Besides - I'm sure I more than made up for nutritional deficiencies when I concocted this oddly colorful veggie sandwich. Tofurkey, sprouts, spinach, shredded roasted beets and carrots, and leaf lettuce. Soo yummy it was insane; I barely waited for the bread to cool.

Potato Bread recipe for the Bread Machine
Yield: (1) 2 pound loaf

1 Cup Mashed Potatoes (sweet potatoes are good here too!!)
1 Cup Potato Cooking Water
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Salt
1 1/3 Tbsp Sugar
2 Cups Bread Flour
1 Tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tsp Yeast

Add ingredients to your bread machine in the order preferred by your maker. I set this on the dark bread setting when using wheat flour.

Bake as directed. Let cool and slice for sandwiches or whatever.


Dino said...

Oh GODS. That sandwich looks scrummy!

Vivacious Vegan said...

That is my kind of sandwich! It's a rainbow of colors. Mmmm. I made a potato bread a couple of days ago in my bread maker. What a random coincidence. It turned out ok but by day 3 it was much better as toasted garlic bread. I'm glad you posted your recipe so I can give it a try.

Julia said...

The bread sounds yummy. :)

I tried several times to like beets. Unfortunately, they just make me completely lose my appetite. That's really saying something because I have a heavy duty appetite, lol.

Johanna3 said...

i cant wait to try it!

That sandwich is the most colorful one i seen in my life!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

that is one of the best looking sandwiches i have ever seen. i love love love potato bread. yum!!!

Veg-a-Nut said...

That sandwich look wonderful. I don't think I would have waited for the bread to cool either. lol...

Veggie said...


i tried your potato bread. it's excellent. definately a keeper!