Saturday, August 25, 2007

Potato Bread and a Veggie Sandwich!

I really don't bake bread too often, but I've been suffering "Bread-Machine-Abandonment Guilt" lately and I had some yeast I wasn't sure was still good, (obviously it was fine!) so I decided to give it a shot.

This potato bread is one I've been making forever, and it always turns out so nice. Moist, dense and holds together. Lovely for sandwiches.
I have no idea where it came from. Sorry.

Yes, it's obviously made with glaringly white flour, I was out of whole wheat flour. Call the carb police. Send the fiber patrol after me, I don't care. It was GOOD!

Besides - I'm sure I more than made up for nutritional deficiencies when I concocted this oddly colorful veggie sandwich. Tofurkey, sprouts, spinach, shredded roasted beets and carrots, and leaf lettuce. Soo yummy it was insane; I barely waited for the bread to cool.

Potato Bread recipe for the Bread Machine
Yield: (1) 2 pound loaf

1 Cup Mashed Potatoes (sweet potatoes are good here too!!)
1 Cup Potato Cooking Water
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Salt
1 1/3 Tbsp Sugar
2 Cups Bread Flour
1 Tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tsp Yeast

Add ingredients to your bread machine in the order preferred by your maker. I set this on the dark bread setting when using wheat flour.

Bake as directed. Let cool and slice for sandwiches or whatever.

7 comments:

Dino said...

Oh GODS. That sandwich looks scrummy!

Anonymous said...

That is my kind of sandwich! It's a rainbow of colors. Mmmm. I made a potato bread a couple of days ago in my bread maker. What a random coincidence. It turned out ok but by day 3 it was much better as toasted garlic bread. I'm glad you posted your recipe so I can give it a try.

Unknown said...

The bread sounds yummy. :)

I tried several times to like beets. Unfortunately, they just make me completely lose my appetite. That's really saying something because I have a heavy duty appetite, lol.

Anonymous said...

i cant wait to try it!

That sandwich is the most colorful one i seen in my life!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

that is one of the best looking sandwiches i have ever seen. i love love love potato bread. yum!!!

Sheree' said...

That sandwich look wonderful. I don't think I would have waited for the bread to cool either. lol...

Veggie said...

hi,

i tried your potato bread. it's excellent. definately a keeper!