Lucky you (or maybe not) ...two (totally unrelated) recipes today.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup sugar or rice syrup
- 1 Tb. egg replacer powder (mixed with soymilk)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
Stir in sweetener and vanilla, and add the Earth Balance.
Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 8-12 minutes.
Remove from heat, add coconut and nuts, and beat with the wooden spoon until frosting is of spreading consistency.
Spread on the top of the chocolate cake. It'll be runny and soak in a bit but this keeps the cake moist too.
Serve warm or cool.
- 1 cup coarsely broken walnuts* (I use halves, it's prettier)
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 cups bite-size seitan chunks , your favorite recipe or store-bought
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup onion slices
- 1 1/2 cups bias-cut celery slices
- 1 1/4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. cooking sherry/red wine or apple juice
- 1 (2/3 cup) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
Put Seitan, onion, celery, and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth in skillet.
Combine sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and cooking sherry; add remaining broth.
Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and walnuts.