Saturday, April 14, 2007

Curried "Chicken" Pitas

I'm probably more of a "fake meat" fan than many veg. type people, but I swear I don't use it ALL the time.
It seems that recipes I post often do have it for one reason or another. Maybe because these seem to be the recipes that people request and are the most popular with my friends and family? Who knows.
You could probably use tofu, tempeh crumbles or any "chicken-y" seitan product here, I just happen to like the taste and texture with the Morningstar product.
At any rate, here's our lunch.
Curried "Chicken" Sandwiches


1 Package Morning Star Farms Chicken-Style Meal Starter Strips,
thawed but NOT cooked
(or other vegan "chicken"-strip style product).
2 stalks celery
1/2 small, mild onion
3 Tb. Vegenaise or to taste (depends on how much dressing you like)
1 Tb. sweet pickle relish or to taste
2 tsp. Madras curry powder, or to taste (I use lots more)
pinch salt
pinch sugar
pinch sage
couple grinds black pepper
1/4 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
2 Tb. chopped, roasted cashews (or peanuts or almonds)

Leaf Lettuce
Pita Bread
Mango Chutney (optional but it's good if you just happen to have a jar of it randomly sitting in your fridge).

Put "Chicken" in bowl of food processor and pulse several times until chopped medium-fine (or as chunky as you like it - my kids like it finely textured, I like it very chunky).
Dump in a small mixing bowl.
Put celery and onion in food processor and chop coarsely.
Add to chicken.
Put Vegenaise, relish and seasonings in small bowl and whisk with a fork. If too thick add a bit of soymilk.
Mix dressing into chicken mixture.
Adjust seasonings to your taste.
Stir in raisins and nuts.
Serve in pita bread, with lettuce and chutney.
Insanely yummy-liciousness.
Makes about 3 or 4 pita


----Thanks to fellow VBer "sallyomally" for the wonderful suggestion of adding chutney and almonds (sorry, all I had was cashews and they tasted pretty good so I went with those). I think chopped apples or grapes would be good in this too!

7 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

I actually don't mind "fake" meats. Sometimes they are just easier and sometimes they taste good. I would say I mix it up a lot but then to me mixing it up is what makes food fun.

This recipe looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

i love those morningstar strips they made a wonderfull fried "chicken".

Neva said...

That sounds really good! I don't always like grainy tvp, so I bet the morningstar strips work well. I'm already a fan--if I make something with morningstar strips it's always a hit with my husband.

Michelle said...

That looks great, you may have finally given me motivation to finally hunt down a jar of Vegenaise.

aTxVegn said...

These pitas look so yummy. So do the Indian treats you posted earlier!

Susan said...

This looks so yummy! Curried chicken salad is one of the things that I really miss, so I need to add the ingredients for this to my shopping list. Thanks!

scottishvegan said...

They look so yummy! My kind of sandwich filling!