Friday, April 13, 2007

Bumper Stickers and BBQ Tofu for Supper

First news of the day: I added a new bumper sticker to my Mom-van and just have to show it off. (The Vegetarian one..).
This event is impressive in itself because I'm actually not a 'bumper sticker' fan... but someone gave me "Who Are These Kids..." a year or two back and EVERYONE said it was so "me" that I just had to put on the van's pristine, unadorned backside. It gets great comments absolutely all the time (which I find weird since I never notice, much less comment on, other people's adesivo com frases humorísticas... but I digress).
Anyway, my kids found and LOVED the new "Vegetarian" bumper sticker especially for it's 'sprouting' reference, ('cause I always refer to them as my "Sprouts" of course). I figure a little PR for a vegetarian lifestyle is a good thing, but that's the last one - no more humorous adhesive on my hiney!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Next, a simple but most excellent supper made by myself, and my friend Froggy-boy. We both thought it was worthy of a passing mention here just for it's simplicity and delicious-ness alone.
  • Kale with roasted red peppers and sesame seeds. (No recipe, that's all there was to it.)
  • Baked Tofu with BBQ sauce. (Again, no recipe, just slabs of tofu, baked with sauce - sooo yummy!)
  • Garlic and Herb Oven-Roasted Potatoes (Recipe below)


Garlic and Herb Roasted Potatoes

6 Yukon Gold Potatoes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
2 garlic cloves (You KNOW I used more than this!)
large handful fresh basil leaves
2 - 3 sprigs fresh thyme and sage
1 tsp. onion salt
Seasoning Salt (I use Johnny's 'cause it's made nearby in Tacoma, no MSG and way cheap) and pepper to taste

Cube potatoes. Place in roasting pan or shallow rectangular baking dish.
Put all other ingredients in food processor and blend until liquefied. It will be thick and green and garlick-y.
Pour about 3/4 of the mixture over the potatoes and mix well. (I use my hands).
Bake at 450 degrees for 45 min. or until starting to brown and crisp. Stir several times.
Pour remaining seasoning mixture over potatoes, toss well and serve. Yummmmmm.

There were no leftovers.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

me gusta tu nuevo adhesivo
(i like the new sticker)

the food looks very good!

Anonymous said...

That bumper sticker is so cute !
I want one :)

Thanks for the recipe. Those potatoes look delicious!

Anonymous said...

How funny that your daughter's (your sprouts) found that particular bumper sticker.

I know that you are very glad that you're daughter is home, safe and sound. For me, even when I know the trip is supervised, it's hard to really relax until my daughter's home. Although, it is a little easier when they're with the grandparents...

urban vegan said...

Cute bumper stickers!

I love BBQ sauce on just abotu anything-tofu, seitan, you name it. Your taters would make the perfect accompaniment.

Twisted Cinderella said...

thanks for the bumper snickers! I love them!

I love the recipe too. I happen to have some potatoes in the fridge that I will have try that with!

Mary Worrell said...

Hey tofu mom!

That's why I posted that...trying to find out even more blogs I missed. I'm adding you to my blog roll now...

Love your blog!

John Paul Zavada said...

Good lord that looks wonderful. I'll let you cook for me anytime, Tofu! It reminds me of this website: http://www.pjchmiel.com/vegan/index.html
This guy shows how great Chicago food really is. Cheers!

Tracy said...

I could eat potatoes until they come put my ears, and this version sounds loooovely!

Dori said...

I love the bumper sticker, yes I have been known for that kind of silly humor with my own children also. Potatoes, love them to. I think I could eat them every day.

Julie said...

The bumper stickers are too cute.

And your food always makes my mouth water!!

Seitan Wörshipper said...

`sprouting' reference sticker is quite fun, that table looks good also, but when I was saw it first time I was thinking "where the tofu is?" but hen I foundtofu`s..Aha, they are hidden over the yummy looking BBQ-sauce!