Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Burgers and Potato Wedgies

So I thought I was trying something new today when I shopped, but I got home and realized it's the same Southwest Style Sunshine Burgers I always buy, the packaging has just changed - quite a bit in fact!

I love these things - all organic, vegan (of course) gluten free - made with ground raw sun-flower seeds, brown rice, bell peppers, jalapenos and a couple other things... a little spicy but SO yummy! (I like 'em with a LOT of ketchup, can you tell?) The buns are wonderful puffy things from a neighborhood bakery - vegan, organic (and yes, obviously white flour, so shoot me!).

The potato wedges are inspired (sorta) by those horrid, dried out, greasy "Jo-Jo" wedges you can get at 7-11 sitting next to the rotisserie hot dogs ( ewww), only, of course, these are quite delicious; NOT dried out, greasy or horrid at all!
"Shake and Bake" Potato Wedgies

4 Russet potatoes, cut into thin lengthwise wedges
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp paprika (mainly for color)
pinch cayenne
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 c. finely ground dry breadcrumbs
1 Tb. oil

Toss potato wedges with oil (use your hands if you want) until thoroughly coated.
Mix all dry ingredients and put in a large plastic bag.
Put potatoes in bag with mixture and shake.
Place wedges in single layer on cookie sheet.
Spray lightly with an oil based cooking spray (like Pam) - I use an all-natural olive-oil spray from Whole Foods).
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done and starting to brown. You can cover with foil if you want but they're less crispy that way.


Okra Mary said...

I've been meaning to try out those Sunshine Burgers...I'll try the spicy one like you have here.

Also, you think THAT's a lot of ketchup? You should come to my house...I could eat ketchup with a bit of hot sauce on everything.

Susan said...

I agree with okra mary--that's not a lot of ketchup! If you don't have to keep licking the sides to keep it from dripping out, it's not enough ketchup.

Those burgers sound great--I will have to see if I can find some.

aTxVegn said...

I LOVE burger meals and I love the SW Sunshine burgers. You should NOT compare your fries to the ones at 7-11! They look wonderful and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

Johanna3 said...

i will like to try those, yum!

Tracy said...

Burgers and fries, that's my kind of post!

bazu said...

I crave an old-fashioned burger and fries meal more often than not! And I'm with you on the lots of ketchup.

Oh, can I say how much I *love* your frozen coconut milk cubes idea from your last post? Thanks!