Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Burgers and Potato Wedgies

So I thought I was trying something new today when I shopped, but I got home and realized it's the same Southwest Style Sunshine Burgers I always buy, the packaging has just changed - quite a bit in fact!


I love these things - all organic, vegan (of course) gluten free - made with ground raw sun-flower seeds, brown rice, bell peppers, jalapenos and a couple other things... a little spicy but SO yummy! (I like 'em with a LOT of ketchup, can you tell?) The buns are wonderful puffy things from a neighborhood bakery - vegan, organic (and yes, obviously white flour, so shoot me!).

The potato wedges are inspired (sorta) by those horrid, dried out, greasy "Jo-Jo" wedges you can get at 7-11 sitting next to the rotisserie hot dogs ( ewww), only, of course, these are quite delicious; NOT dried out, greasy or horrid at all!
"Shake and Bake" Potato Wedgies

4 Russet potatoes, cut into thin lengthwise wedges
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp paprika (mainly for color)
pinch cayenne
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 c. finely ground dry breadcrumbs
1 Tb. oil

Toss potato wedges with oil (use your hands if you want) until thoroughly coated.
Mix all dry ingredients and put in a large plastic bag.
Put potatoes in bag with mixture and shake.
Place wedges in single layer on cookie sheet.
Spray lightly with an oil based cooking spray (like Pam) - I use an all-natural olive-oil spray from Whole Foods).
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done and starting to brown. You can cover with foil if you want but they're less crispy that way.

6 comments:

Mary Worrell said...

I've been meaning to try out those Sunshine Burgers...I'll try the spicy one like you have here.

Also, you think THAT's a lot of ketchup? You should come to my house...I could eat ketchup with a bit of hot sauce on everything.

Susan said...

I agree with okra mary--that's not a lot of ketchup! If you don't have to keep licking the sides to keep it from dripping out, it's not enough ketchup.

Those burgers sound great--I will have to see if I can find some.

aTxVegn said...

I LOVE burger meals and I love the SW Sunshine burgers. You should NOT compare your fries to the ones at 7-11! They look wonderful and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

i will like to try those, yum!

Tracy said...

Burgers and fries, that's my kind of post!

bazu said...

I crave an old-fashioned burger and fries meal more often than not! And I'm with you on the lots of ketchup.

Oh, can I say how much I *love* your frozen coconut milk cubes idea from your last post? Thanks!