Sunday, February 04, 2007

Superbowl Snacks: (Roasted 'Popcorn'-style Cauliflower, edition 2.0)

So even though I could care less about the game, my kids are fans, and besides, the ads are fun...

We went to a friend's for the afternoon (and for the big screen), and of course, there were all the typical Superbowl type snack items: Nachos, chips, dips, pizza, burgers, veggies and Ranch, etc., etc. We brought pretzels, pita chips, hummus, tortilla chips and salsa (which I didn't get a picture of, since they were pretty standard fare) but, by request, I made my Oven Roasted, "Popcorn"-style, Cauliflower snacks.

Only this time, I figured I could improve on (or at least change) the original recipe with garlic, fresh herbs, etc...
I ended up completely inventing my own version... Everyone went bonkers for the things, even the cheesy burgers-and-beer crowd. And the best part? The kids kept saying "I can't believe I'm eating cauliflower!" I love that!

Since my friends read this blog (Hi Sherrill!) they demanded the recipe show up on their computer screens post-haste (whatever happened to scribbling it out on a good old-fashioned recipe card?).

Make two batches. A 7-year-old can inhale almost an entire batch if left alone, unattended in the kitchen for ten minutes during half-time. Not that I would know from experience or anything...


Oven-Roasted Garlic-and-Herb Cauliflower Bites

1 head cauliflower, broken into little bite-size flower-ettes

2 cloves garlic, peeled

handful fresh herbs (I used a couple sprigs rosemary, parsley and sage that are still growing in my garden)

4 Tbsp. good olive oil

2 cups fine, dry, seasoned breadcrumbs

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Break cauliflower into small flower-ettes, about as big around as a quarter.
Place in a large bowl.

Put garlic, herbs and olive oil into bowl of food processor and blend until garlic is completely blended.
Or use an immersion blender in a tall, narrow container to liquify the garlic, oil and herbs.

Pour oil mixture over cauliflower.
Stir until all cauliflower bits are evenly coated.
It actually work better and breaks less cauliflower if you toss with your hands until all the cauliflower is coated evenly.

Pour breadcrumbs over.
Toss carefully again untill all breadcrumbs are stuck on to cauliflower. Depending on how dry the crumbs are, or other factors, you might need more crumbs.
The cauliflower bites should be evenly coated and dry.
Lift carefully onto a shallow sided 9 X 12 baking pan.
Roast 10 - 15 minutes or until tender-soft when pierced with a fork.

Serve with vegan ranch or my kids eat 'em with ketchup :P
Happy Weekend y'all.

2 comments:

Verdant said...

This looks insanely good!

Unknown said...

Oh my ... this looks so good! Makes "healthy" look decadent!

I love your site ... found it through Meatless Mondays. I'm following and have added you to my blog roll (hope you don't mind).

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com