Friday, February 23, 2007

Falafel!

Falafel Rocks Our Friday!

I've got a huge tub of dried garbanzos/chickpeas in my pantry, mostly we cook them and use them for soups or hummus, but today I soaked too many for the crock pot; and since I tend to love all things fried (obviously!) and spicy, I decided to use the extra chickpeas to make falafel.

It's been ages since I'd made these wondermous little goodies, my kids couldn't even remember if they liked them! (How sad!)

Of course, there was much discussion with my older girls as to whether the online "Falafel Game" really had anything to do with the actual falafel. Yeah, um, I don't know. But the game is a hoot.

While you're waiting for the things to cook, I recommend playing a couple rounds to get you in a falafel-ish mood. (The games developers describe it as: "...a fun and humorous game, which appeals to both adults and children, English and Hebrew versions of the game are available. Enjoy and Bon Appetit!". This is just hysterical to me for some reason, I'm just strange that way and I haven't had my coffee yet, so...).
But I digress.

ANYWAY! In all seriousness - In searching for a recipe using the raw (well, soaked) beans, I ran across this one for Spicy Falafels from fellow blogger Verdant San Francisco. I've always loved the recipes from Tommy that I've tried, and these were no exception. PERFECT blend of spices and all, we LOVED it!!

So, no recipe for me to type out today, just a link (above) and a really fun game which you know you're dying to try, and a picture of our crunchy, spicy, fried falafel goodness (and a picture that continues to elude me and remain itty-bitty for some freakish reason known only to the Blogspot gods).

Yummy perfect falafels today.

That is all.

8 comments:

Verdant said...

Glad you liked the falafel with an extra flavor kick!

Unknown said...

Are the falafels as addicting as the game?

I'm Julia, and I'm a new reader to your blog. I'm also a mom and almost vegan.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Very cool. I have never tried falafel but you have inspired me to try them soon!

Dori said...

I love falafels, I have always oven baked them though. Watermoelon in the winter, lucky you!

scottishvegan said...

I love falafel, but I usually bake them rather than fry to attempt to be healthy. I have to admit that they do taste better fried though! And I certainly can't make them as fast as you're supposed to in that game!!

aTxVegn said...

Can't go wrong with falafel! I'll give Verdant's recipe a try. I love spicy too!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to check out your Blog in gratitude for you checking out mine. The food looks wonderful! It looks like I have more ideas for preparing my meals now. Thanks!

~Austin~

Anonymous said...

my dauhther love the game, is so cool lol, thank for share it!