Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What's the Excitement Over TOFURKY?

OK, so I'm evidently the only vegan on the planet who hadn't experienced Tofurky for the Holidays yet... And I guess I was beginning to get curious about what I was missing. Or wondering if I was missing anything, really?

Quoting from Turtle Island's website, the manufacturer of Tofurky says "The Tofurky Roast is a pre-cooked vegetarian feast designed to be the delicious centerpiece of your holiday or everyday meal. Made from a revolutionary tofu-wheat protein blend, Tofurky is known for its incredible, turkey-like texture and flavor. "
Interesting.

I admit, my family (who happen to be mostly vegetarian) prefers the "veggie nut-loaf" or "neatball" -type main dishes at their holiday feasts (and they ARE feasts), so I never was inclined to bother with a Tofurky. Since I hadn't grown up with turkey on my Holiday table, I didn't suddenly feel the need to have a turkey-like replacement as the centerpiece.
I can also see, however, if you've always had a dead-bird main course, you might feel the need for something similar at Thanksgiving (Christmas/Easter/whatever) and I think this fills the bill.

Well, OK, for New Years, I had dinner with my friend Shaun, and he'd been raving about this Tofurky thing, we decided to cook ourselves Tofurky, mashed 'taters and all the fixins... What fun we had making everything!
I have to say, the legend that is Tofurky lived up to the hype. My highly professional opinion? Yum. It was very good!

If you (like me) haven't ever had Tofurky before, well it comes frozen. You thaw it and then bake it. It's this round-ish-shaped log of soy-wheat-tofu product and it's stuffed with a bit of rice "stuffing" (which, in my opinion they needen't have bothered with, since it didn't add much overall.)
Shaun said it had a tendancy to dry out slightly in the baking, so we basted the heck out of it, with an olive oil-fresh sage-garlic 'marinade' that we whipped up in the blender; then just followed the baking directions on the package, brushing it with the mixture every so often.

While the Tofurky baked, we made mashed potatoes; cornbread dressing with fresh sage, celery, onions and pecans; and Tofurky brand gravy... and it all turned out SOOOO yum! Oh man! The Tofurky wasn't dry, it had a really good flavor, and everything worked out so well together....
I think the only part I wasn't totally crazy about was the Tofurky gravy. It wasn't all that "turkey" flavored. Mainly just salty. I can make better, and even though it was very dark colored, it was sorta ...watery...
It was good, but I guess I prefer my gravy a little richer - maybe with just a wee bit of wine, or maybe soymilk added?

Anyway. It was all extremely tasty, lots of fun, and well worth the price and the wait for cooking time! So, no recipes today, just a couple pictures from the turkey-free Tofurky dinner we enjoyed.
Happy New Year to you and yours. I've so enjoyed everyone else's great recipes, pictures and blogs. Keep up the good work.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm very curious about tofurkey myself. My husband wanted to try it out these past holidays, but I was just so worried because I didn't know what to expect. Thanks for sharing your review...perhaps next holiday season for us.