Friday, January 05, 2007

Rich, Garlicky Scalloped Potatoes Alfredo

We needed some "comfort food" tonight after all this snow and ice and winter nastiness. By request, I made one of our latest favorites - Garlicky Scalloped Potatoes Alfredo, and added your basic shredded-carrot and raisin salad and brocolli for supper. Seemed to make everyone happy!

Here's the potato recipe. It's a huge hit every time I make it, and perfect for those not-vegan-friendly potlucks where all the omnis peers at your food looking for chunks of tofu...

This is a variation on a Scalloped Potato dish made by a friend over at VeggieBoards, though I modified it somewhat for my very garlic-obsessed family. I thought since I'd changed it a bit, it was OK to post it here, but my apologies if not. Just know I'm in no way claiming it's an original creation of mine...
Anyway, so if you're not quite so garlic-crazy you can cut down on the amount, though it does mellow a great deal during cooking...


Garlic Scalloped Potatoes

8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (the only kind to use here!)
1 large, sweet onion (Walla Walla Sweet - I live in Washington, what can I say...)
3 cups boiling non-dairy (I like soy here, plain, NOT vanilla obviously!) milk
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup vegan Tofutti "sour cream"
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp black pepper
3 tsp each onion powder & garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 - 8 cloves fresh garlic, run thru garlic press or food processor
seasoned bread crumbs for the topping.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
If you're using a thick-skinned baking potato, you may want to peel them. I use "Yukon Gold" which have very thin, tender skins, so I just scrub them really well and leave the skins on.
Slice the potatoes and onion as thin as you can - I use a mandolin slicer. Place an even layer of them into a 9"x13" baking pan. sprinkle with some of the flour, salt and paprika

Heat your milk to boiling and add the vegan "sour cream" plus all the spices and seasonings (except flour, salt and paprika). Add pressed (or food-processed) garlic cloves. Whisk until the sour cream has melted into the hot milk and then pour a layer over the potatoes.

Add another layer of potato slices, and repeat the flour, spices sprinkling and more hot 'milk' sauce. Do this until all potato slices are used up and top with final layer of sauce.
Cover the pan tightly with a lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when you poke them with a knife. Add the topping (seasoned bread crumbs), and place under the broiler for 2 - 3 minutes or until it's browned. Serve hot. Often I don't add bread crumbs and it's just fine too...
Makes enough for 4 - 6 people. (Well, that's the theory, though I always have to make double for the 4 of us!!)

12 comments:

urban vegan said...

I love garlic--and taters--so I'm sure I'd love this dish.

Michelle said...

we are also big garlic lovers! i've never made vegan scalloped potatoes, but i'm sure i will soon.. that really looks good!

Julie said...

HOLY CRAP! Sounds yuuuuuummy. I'll be making this in no time! Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Wow!! That sounds so good. I will definitely have to try this recipe. Yummy, potatoes and garlic, too good. Can't wait to make it.

Harmonia said...

Those look great!!!

Hope your weekend is going well! Have you been over to Veggin' Out yet? (Online community for veggie women)
http://vegginout.proboards92.com

Candi said...

We are not only garlic lovers here, but potatoes are our favourite food!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Staff said...

I've found baking for 55 minutes can increase the taste of the potatoes. -Kevin Ricche

Christa T. said...

it would be great if you could just link up to my recipe journal when you're using recipes from it! i don't mind the plug.

http://kreeli.livejournal.com

xoxox

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Muchas apologĂ­as, I didn't know about the lj post. I linked to VB 'cause I thought that was where I got the inspiration. Definitely wasn't meaning to nab anything without credit...

Dori said...

Now I have another recipe on my want to try list from "odd tofu mom".

Thanks for visiting my blog. You mentiioned family in Newton, I have several family members in Newton (aunt/uncle, cousins, and a half-sister with nephews). It's a sad place there with Maytag leaving now. I live about an hour from there now.

I also have a son (age 18) who has a diagnosis on the autistic spectrum (Aspergers), he's taking college classes now. I home schooled him for seven years and then just went back to work, I'm a high school teacher.

Sheree' said...

I'm drooling and starving from reading your entire blog from beginning to end. The Heavenly happiness does not end. Wow! I am going nuts. Thanks for all your sharing and yummy pictures.

Anonymous said...

Thoght you'd like to know that recipes cannot eb patented, nor can they be claimed as original since people have been cooking since forever. I've printed a cookbook so I researched this. If you find a recipe you like but think you might be able to imrpove on it, when you add or delete ingredients it become, in essence, a new recipe. It's not necessary to give someone credit. If you don't change it then it's nice to give them credit, however. By the way, I tried this recipe and it's very good. Thanks!