Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Today we were all in the mood for something very chocolate-y, and since it's the first week of Winter Break, the perfect time to bake some decadence and chocolate. So, I rummaged through some recipes and found this one for Christmas CandyCane Brownies. I'd been in search of a decent vegan brownie recipe for a long time, and no matter what, they all kept coming out soggy or greasy. Gack!
But I'd been playing with this recipe for quite a while, and finally managed to perfect (well, "perfect" being a relative term of course) it last summer (without the candy-cane topping because candy-canes are hard to find in mid-July ) so decided to let the Sprouts try their hand at baking them. The end result was great of course!!


Christmas Candy Cane Brownies
1 1/4 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tb. egg replacer powder powder
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
1/2 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, baking powder, egg replacer powder) You can sift if you want but not necessary.
Then mix the wet ingredients (water, oil, vanilla).
Mix wet into dry together, 50 strokes, or until well blended.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Spread mixture into a greased 13x9" pan.
Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

When cool, we frosted with the white frosting from 'Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World' (to which we added some Peppermint Extract) then topped the brownies liberally with crushed candy canes. As you can see, SOMEONE (not mentioning any names here*cough*starts-with-an-O*cough*) couldn't wait to try them, even before I'd gotten a picture!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

they looks so rich and good!, thanks for share the recipe!
have a great weekend!

Julie said...

OMG! Looks SO good.

Candi said...

Wow!! I love this recipe! Thank you for sharing it. My daughter just saw it too and I think we have to try it soon! :P

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks guys - wish the picture was better, but like I said, they didn't last long...

Took a batch of these to Christmas Dinner (which I'm almost done blogging on - sigh) and the vegan-paranoid omnis ate the entire (9 X 12) pan in 10 minutes flat...

Who says we vegans live on twigs and leaves anyway!

bazu said...

Happy New Year!

Oh my gosh, I've just now been catching up to everyone's blogs, and your brownie photo blew me away! The sausage/brussels sprouts dish looks awesome too.

Just wanted to let you know that I made your chocolate chip cookies as part of my holiday cookie baskets and they were a hit! Everyone wanted the recipe. Thanks so much!

Candi said...

I wanted to make these so badly, but didn't have the ingredients. instead, we made peppermint hot chocolate and stuck candy canes off the edge of the mugs for stirring. :P Thanks for the idea!!

Happy New Year!!

Joyce said...

WOW! I just stumbled over here from your sig on veggie boards! I can tell from one post that I need to read your whole blog! I've been looking for yummie vegan treats to fool my dairy eating friends with who seem to think I can only eat nuts and berries... sheesh!

thanks so much for posting that!

urban vegan said...

Very cool yule brownies. I love chocolate & mint together.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had much luck veganizing brownies either -- either they're flat or taste rubbery. Yours look great so I'm going to have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i wish oyu a great new year! i cant wait to see more of your posts!