Monday, May 09, 2005

Ratatouille

I love eggplant and the Mediterranean flavors of garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs, so this is one of my favorite recipes, especially in the summer when I have a bunch of fresh garden-ripened tomatoes.
I've made this recipe for years and never realized it was specifically "vegan" until now.
1 large onion, chopped
Garlic and olive oil, to taste
1 large eggplant, cut into cubes (salted, drained, and blotted dry if desired)
2 red peppers, sliced, (I use red and yellow for more color, if I can find them)

3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup shopped Kalamata olives
2 Tb. capers
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
"Herbes de Provence" (Rosemary, Basil, Marjoram, Savory, Thyme) I use fresh, from my patio herb "garden".

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil, add the eggplant and fry a few minutes.
Add the peppers, tomatoes and zucchini.
Add olives, capers, garlic and as much of the chopped herbs as you like. Salt and pepper to taste.
Let cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot as a main dish, or cold as a side dish.
Can also be used to stuff into pita bread, roll up in tortillas, or make into a vegetable pot pie.

0 comments: