Sunday, April 03, 2005

Good Gravy! (Who says you need dead cow juices to make it?)

Good Gravy!

I make AWESOME gravy, if I do say so myself... Awesome VEGAN gravy!!
I frequently have people ask how I make gravy without turkey or roast drippings - well, actually even those nasty salty little flavored envelopes at the supermarket are usually vegan, (on accident), but why not make it from scratch?
It tastes SOOO much better! And without the meat drippings, it's a whole lot better for you too, right?!!
Non-Cow Gravy


28 oz. Vegetarian "beef" or vegetable broth (I use "Imagine" Foods in the aseptic box, but you can mix your own from bullion and water or do whatever you want).
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup coarsely chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray
2 T. all-purpose flour

Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil;cook 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Strain brothmixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.(I know, sounds wasteful - if you want, you can make chunky vegetable gravy and leave them in, in that case, use ike 2 cups of chopped mushrooms).

Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add flour, and cook 2 minutes or until browned,stirring constantly. Transfer flour to a large bowl, and cool completely.

Add 1/4 cup broth mixture to flour; stir well with a whisk. Add remaining broth mixture, stirring well with a whisk.
Pour mixture into skillet; place over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, veggie burgers, or "meat" loaf.

To make this into Stroganoff:

Make above gravy.
Add 2 cups sauteed mushrooms. Stir in 1/2 container Tofutti Sour Cream and heat gently. Serve over rice or noodles. YUM!

1 comments:

Sheree' said...

I never thought to make stroganoff. Darn that sounds good! I always make a similar gravy and always have tofutti cream cheese (now that it is transfat free) so why have I not put the two together? Who knows, but now I'm gonna. Thanks for the tip.

PS. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words.