Monday, January 26, 2015

Cookbook Review for "Vegan Pressure Cooking"

So, one of the things I enjoy most about blogging is sharing really cool, vegan-related things with the five or so people who read my blog!
And one of the latest "cool things" I have to share with you, is my review for this beautiful cookbook, written by my friend and fellow blogger, JL Fields.

A few weeks ago, JL sent me a copy of her book Vegan Pressure Cooking; Delicious Beans, Grains, and One-Pot Meals in Minutes to check out, cook from, and 'ooooh' and 'ahhh' over. I had already had a bit of a sneak preview while helping test recipes for this book, so I might be a bit biased when I say the book is completely FABULOUS, both informative and beautiful!! You really all should run get a copy.

OK, so I LOVE, LOVE my pressure cooker and have used it for years (one of the reasons I was super excited to help test recipes for this book!) - but I know the idea of pressure cooking sometimes intimidates people, you hear the horror stories of pots exploding and burners melting. Rest assured, that's not going to happen with today's modern, high-tech, fool-proof, super-fancy-but-still-super-easy-to-use pressure cookers. (There's even a section right in the front of the book where she answers questions and concerns. Good stuff.) Basically, if  you HAVE a pressure cooker, are intimidated by pressure cookers, or are just thinking about getting one with your Christmas bonus, this is a GREAT book to get!! You don't even have to be vegan, seriously. Everyone can use a good collection of reliable and QUICKKKKKK recipes for beans and grains!
That's the beauty of pressure cookers! They aren't your Grandma's scary, rattly pots of years ago - but a great way to cook hearty, healthy meals FAST!

Black Eyed Peas
(ooops, no collard greens)
I first tried a couple of the basic bean recipes, just because that's really all I used my pressure cooker for.. (In the past!! But no more!)
I first made the "Refried Beans" and then "Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens" (only, sorry, I didn't have the collard greens!) and as expected, each recipe was SUPER yummy! Beans cooked in hardly any time, the seasoning was perfect, cooking time was exactly right and the recipes and pressure cooker directions were simple and easy to follow.

Tofu Scramble +
Veggie Stewed Tomatoes
Next, because my Mom had just given me a box of tomatoes, I made the "Veggie Stewed Tomatoes" (and added some zucchini). Also delish!
These cooked so fast I hadn't even planned what else to make for dinner, so I decided to also try the pressure cooker "Tofu Scramble" simply because I was curious.
Yes, it turned out great as well. And tomatoes on top of scramble = PERFECT quick and easy supper!

While I'm not sure I'll be making tofu scramble in my pressure cooker much, I'm pretty sure to find a use for every other recipe in this book. It's not often I say that, because I tend to make my own recipes a good part of the time.

I see myself using this book often, especially for bulk cooking and winter soups! As a busy Mom, working two jobs, cooking budget-friendly, quick and easy, vegan meals and trying to be somewhat health-conscious, Vegan Pressure Cooking is a must-have cookbook!

0 comments: