Friday, September 19, 2014

Chipotle Sausage and Hatch Chile Gravy

Good Evening and Happy Friday!
It's been a crazy week and only getting crazier.
Vegan Month of Gravy is still happening, just not as regularly as I would like. Of course, I'm still MAKING gravy every day, (because that's what I do) I just haven't gotten around to artfully arranging, garnishing, photographing and blogging about said gravy.
Nevertheless. I have another fun recipe to share today, one that I feel is worth posting, and I HOPE you'll try - even if I never got around to taking fabulously artsy photos arranged on hand-thrown pottery with organically grown, stone-ground cornbread...

I don't typically use a lot of "faux" meats (mostly because there aren't many available out here in the sticks) but I DO love the fabulous varieties of Field Roast Sausage that are readily available in my neighborhood. This is one of my favorite ways to use the mildly spicy Field Roast "Mexican Chipotle" style, along with another spicy favorite; the beautiful, earthy, fire-roasted New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles.
     I used to only be able to get authentic New Mexico Green Chiles IN New Mexico, but recently they've started to show up in limited amounts in specialty grocery stores here in the Northwest. I love roasting them over my backyard fire pit, but they're also available conveniently roasted and frozen in some stores.
     This gravy is super simple, and ends up bright chipotle-chile orange, but it's SO GOOD on potatoes, biscuits, cornbread or over tofu scramble!

Chipotle Sausage and
Hatch Chile Gravy

  • 3 Field Roast Mexican Chipotle flavor sausages, wrapping removed and crumbled/mashed (use any vegan chorizo-type sausage available)
  • 2 Tbsp melted margarine
  • 3 fire roasted Hatch chiles, skin, stem, and seeds removed, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 - 3 cups unsweetened plant milk, warmed
  • Heat a large skillet over medium.
    Add the vegan Mexican sausage and margarine and stir over heat until cooked firm and maybe a bit brown.
    Stir in the chopped Hatch chiles
    Add the flour and cook until dissolved and mixed into the sausage and chiles, about 1 minute.
    Slowly stir in the milk.
    Cook, whisking frequently, until the gravy is very thick and bubbly (you can add more milk if you need to thin).
    Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
    Serve gravy over biscuits or corn bread.

    1 comments:

    Shaheen said...

    My mouth is watering at the sound and look of these, and it's only breakfast time in the UK