Thursday, April 25, 2013

Easiest Vegetable Quiche Ever

I love quiche. And have posted several variations here on my blog over the years. I'm posting this mainly for the benefit of the So Delicious® Dairy-Free 2013 Recipe Contest going on over on Pinterest, and for those of you who still haven't tried the BEST and easiest vegan quiche recipe out there!
Shameless plug:
Please-oh-please-oh-for-the-love-of-all-things-vegan, go VOTE FOR THIS RECIPE!! 

Just click "like" (I also have my vegan Fettuccine Alfredo in the contest. Who's to say you can't "like" twice?) I mean, seriously, $500 gift card from Williams Sonoma? I could do great vegan things with that!!

But back to the recipe:
After perfecting several variations of my quiche-like-thing several years back, it has became a much-requested favorite both in my house AND on my blog, and with good reason - it's SUPER easy, virtually foolproof, can be tailored to the likes and dislikes of your family - you can use virtually ANY vegetable and it's good hot, cold or at room temp. Great to make ahead for those days when I don't want to heat up the kitchen.

This may look vaguely familiar to those one or two of my readers who are close to my age - it's actually a very veganized spin on the old favorite "Impossible Broccoli Pie" introduced to frazzled 1970's-era housewives by the Bisquick people. No crust needed, it makes it's own. Magic and impossible-blah-blah-blah. Or something. I never actually MADE that recipe. But

Yes. I use a pre-packaged "complete baking mix" in this recipe. Yes, it has white flour and other things some of you may gasp at. And yes, it's vegan.
 OK. There ARE whole-grain-organic-chia-seed-gluten-free-pebbles-and-twigs 'baking mixes' as well, if you prefer. I don't have access to those. I don't have access to Whole Foods and similar stores that carry them. Without apology, I admit to liking a shortcut now and then; so a basic, all-purpose "complete biscuit/shortcake/waffle/pancake baking-mix" tends to have a happy home in my cupboard. Use what you like, whole-grain or not, any similar mix works!

**The quiche pictured contains tomatoes, browned onions, yellow summer squash, mushrooms and yellow peppers (they don't show up, so my picky kids are more likely to eat them!) Use what YOU LIKE!!
I promise this one is WAY better.

 Super Easy Vegetable Quiche 

1 1/2 -to- 2 cups chopped vegetables: broccoli, spinach, kale, sliced zucchini, yellow summer squash or whatever combination of vegetables you'd like
1/3 cup chopped green onion (OR 1 sweet onion, chopped and browned in vegan margarine)
1/2 -to- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (depending on how many other vegetables you've used)
1/2 a red or yellow bell pepper, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheese (about 6 ounces) I use the Daiya Italian Blend, but use whatever you prefer
2 thinly sliced Roma tomatoes
1 cup "complete baking (or pancake) mix"
1 cup So Delicious® UNSWEETENED ALMOND PLUS™ 5X milk (or other plant milk)
1 12 oz. box silken tofu
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 tsp. India black salt (optional, gives it an "eggy" flavor that I like in dishes like this)

Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease a deep-dish pie plate.
Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling in medium saucepan. Add broccoli or whatever vegetables you're using; cover and cook about two minutes. Just to barely cook. Remove from heat and drain. Gently stir together cooked vegetables, green or browned onion, sauteed mushrooms, peppers and cheese in pie plate, just to mix a little. Layer tomato slices over vegetables.

Blend remaining ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Pour over vegetables into pie plate. Bake 45 - 55 minutes, or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes or chill overnight. Slice and serve.

2 comments:

Vegiegail said...

LOVE this recipe AND the photo! Good luck in the contest, Marti! xo

RunnerGal said...

This recipe sounds delicous! I am exited to try this out this weekend. Thank you so much!