Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Pulled" Mushroom Sandwiches

So I bought a bunch (WAY too many!) King Oyster mushrooms the other day, to make a recipe from the FABULOUS Herbivoracious site. (While his recipe is not what I'm making today, DO check out his site when you get a chance!!)

Anyway -  I had several of these giant mushrooms sitting in my 'fridge for several days, trying to think what else to do with them.
On a whim, I shredded them, sauteed them, then cooked them down in some homemade BBQ sauce - and had a "pulled" mushroom sammich.
Seriously? Takes a little while, but the EASIEST supper ever!

The texture is a little softer than chicken, but it still looks and tastes deliciously shreddy-meaty-BBQ-y.
By delicious accident, I also discovered I had no sourdough bread that night, just some rustic, artisan raisin bread. Sounds weird, but the sweet of the raisins complimented the BBQ sauce PERFECTLY!!
I served this again tonight to my good friend Shaun, and he agreed it was crazy stuff, we scraped the pan clean!

The texture won't work so well with other mushrooms, you really need the firm but easy-to-shred texture of the giant King Oysters.
If you've never worked with these, they're great big things - roughly the size and shape of a chicken drumstick, usually found in your local Asian Market or better-stocked grocery stores.
They're meaty but silky textured when cooked, add a rich hearty flavor to vegetable dishes and are a great source of protein, vitamin B6, folate, iron, magnesium, zinc, dietary fiber, riboflavin, phosphorus, potassium, and copper.
And I also like them because they're CHEAP!

"Pulled" Mushroom BBQ Sandwiches

4 King Oyster Mushrooms, (they're mostly a big stem - the size of a large chicken drumstick or larger (sorry for the comparison but that's what they remind me of!!)
2 Tb. Earth Balance
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups favorite BBQ sauce
1/2 cup water

Finely shred the mushrooms using the finest shred, matchstick or julienne blade on your Mandoline Slicer; You want toothpick-thin slices.
If you have a food processor with a feed chute and shredder blade, you can use that but the texture may be mushier...

Melt Earth Balance in a large skillet, add shredded mushrooms, onions and salt; heat COVERED over medium high, stirring occasionally, until until mushrooms release liquid and become juicy, about 10 - 15 minutes.
Continue to simmer, covered, until vegetables are soft and tender, about another 10 minutes. (Add a couple Tbsp. water if it isn't still a bit "juicy")
Stir in BBQ sauce and water, remove cover and simmer another 10 minutes. Turn heat to high and stir frequently until extra moisture evaporates and mixture becomes thick and sticky. Allow to "stick" and caramelize a bit, but scrape pan to prevent mixture from actually burning.
Serve over hot sourdough toast (or try with a hearty, non-sweet, rustic raisin bread like I did.)

16 comments:

Matt said...

Yuuuuum!

I've often seen these and wondered what I can do with them - can't wait to give this a try!

Unknown said...

Mushrooms are one of those foods that I want to like SO bad since they are so versatile, but I just have not had the best experiences with them.
this recipe sounds delicious though, anything with bbq sauce has to taste good! :)

Bianca said...

Tofu Mom, you are a genius!!

Catherine Weber said...

Genius! I can't wait to try this!

T.M. said...

I just read this post the other day and was salivating at the description. Today I found the mushrooms at a local Asian market and oh boy! they came home with me to make this. Thanks so much for a great recipe. I can't wait to have it.

T.M. said...

I made this today and Wow! Asolutely delicious and the mushrooms were fairly inexpensive so I will most definately make this again.

Anonymous said...

This looks so freakin' cool. This is definitely going on my to-make list... just gotta track down some huge mushrooms.

jacqui said...

I've got this cooking right now!

Unknown said...

Wow! This is wonderful. I accidentally purchased some mushrooms that were a little bit pricier, but the recipe still turned out really well! I always crave some kind of bbq after I see friends having pulled pork, and this definitely hits the spot. Very creative!

Mollylivebearer said...

This is happening right now! I can't wait to try them. I don't think they're julienned small enough but I love me some shrooms, any way they happen to be shaped!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Molly! Let me know how you like them! The smaller "shreds" definitely give a more "meaty" texture - they can be a wee bit rubbery otherwise - but I think any size shreds/strips will definitely still TASTE wonderful, especially once cooked down.

Mollylivebearer said...

It's sooo good! Kyle even likes it and he 'doesn't like mushrooms'! Serena hasn't tried it yet.

Mollylivebearer said...

I loved them! Even my son likes them!

Mollylivebearer said...

I loved them! Even my son likes them and he doesn't like mushrooms. LOL

Unknown said...

Thoughts on making this in a crockpot?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

This would probably work well in a crockpot, though I think it'd be much "juicier". The mushrooms give off quite a bit of liquid and it cooks out, and the mushrooms firm up quite a bit, on the stove. The high heat caramelizing finish at the end wouldn't happen, but it would still be good I think. I don't have any idea how long you'd need to cook it either - PLEASE let me know if you try it!