Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spicy Curried Cauliflower and Peas (Aloo Mutter Gobi)


Cauliflower is abundant and cheap in the winter farmer's markets around here, so we loaded up on it today - in fact, one of the market sellers told me our valley, here in the shadow of Mt. Rainier, grows cauliflower commercially for most of the grocery stores and produce vendors in the US!

Wow. I knew there were a lot of vegetable farms in the area but still found that fact interesting...
Fortunately, my kids all LOVE the stuff too, so I take advantage of that fact - and here's yet another reason I'm loading up on cauliflower:
"Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and brussels sprouts contain a compound called indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a potent antioxidant that breaks down estrogen in the body, that reduce the risk of breast cancer and other estrogen-sensitive cancers, like cancer of the ovaries and cervix." ~American Cancer Society
So... YAY! Great reasons to eat the stuff.
And when Lil' Sprout requested "Spicy Cauliflower and Peas" for supper tonight, how could I resist? So glad she LOVES all things curried and spicy (and most things "healthy").

I tend to like this with a lot more sauce than you might find at some Indian restaurants - the extra flavors soak into the rice with the vegetables and make a warm, cozy, winter supper. Don't be intimidated by the long list of spices, it's not overly "hot" and WAY easier than it appears, well worth it for the authentic taste.
This is also (I think?) gluten and soy-free, for those who need.

Aloo Mutter Gobi
(Spicy Cauliflower, Peas and Potatoes)
  • 1/2 medium-large head of cauliflower, broken into bite-size florets
  • 1 medium potato, cubed
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds (can be made without - though it does add flavor)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp red cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. fresh pressed garlic
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 2 Tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
  • Aprox. 1 cup or 1 8 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk OR for less "coconut" flavor and a more gravy-like consistency use 1 cup So Delicious UNSWEETENED Coconut Milk.
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. (I use a large, rather deep cast iron skillet.) Add the seeds and stir until they sizzle and "pop". This releases the spices flavor and infuses the oil with it.

Add the onion and ginger, stir-fry for a few minutes until onion is starting to brown at the edges.
Lower the heat and add in the spices from garlic to curry powder. Stir only a few seconds to get the spices coated with oil and just starting to heat.
Add the potato and cauliflower and stir well to mix in the spices.
Add the salt and garam masala.
Add the water and let the vegetables cook until tender. (I cover the pan here, and let the veggies cook in their own juices which are released due to the salt).
Stir every 5 minutes to evenly cook the vegetables.
When water has evaporated or vegetables are cooked, add green peas, garam masala, tomatoes and coconut milk.
Simmer for another 10 minutes, covered or uncovered, depending on how thick you want the sauce. Turn off heat and allow to sit for a few minutes. This really blends the flavors.
Serve with rice.

(OK, not a real pretty picture - again with the iPhone and no "real camera. And you'll notice I served it with quinoa today because we were OUT of rice. No one complained!)

4 comments:

radioactivegan said...

This look so yummy. I wish I could convince my boyfriend to eat Indian food more often. Next time he's out of the house for a meal, I'll definitely have to try it!

Karyn said...

Love love love! I never have the fenugreek seeds though. I am going down the mountain to Phoenix this saturday and I have a list of spices and other odds and ends I can't get here.

Why have I never added peas before? I love peas! I dont think my recipe has tomatoes in it either, but it will from now on.

Thank you!!

Gail for So Delicious Dairy Free said...

I love cauliflower and curry, so Alu Matar Gobi is one of my favorite Indian dishes. Yours looks delicious! I'm so glad you discovered how wonderful So Delicious is for making curries. I created a dish called Bombay to Bangkok Vegetable Curry that uses So Delicious Coconut Milk, and it's become a favorite in our family's dinner rotation. I hope you'll try it!

Thank you for sharing this recipe with our FB fans! I'd also like to invite you to share it on our website, if you feel so inspired. http://bit.ly/g8oDsZ

Jessica said...

This looks good - I love aloo ghobi and the mutter seems like a perfect addition, as does upping the spice. This looks like a great recipe.

And I wouldn't have noticed that you ate it over quinoa - but thanks for the honesty :)