Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pumpkin French Toast with Apple Cider Syrup


OK, I've been playing with this idea for a while now, and today seems like a good day to post it, just one weekend before Thanksgiving here in the United States. (Sorry I was too late for my Canadian friends, I'm sure it's good for Christmas morning as well!).


I love pumpkin in anything, French Toast seemed a pretty natural option. The "pumpkin" flavor isn't overpowering here, but it makes a nice alternative to "regular" French Toast. I also whipped up a last minute "Apple Cider Syrup" which was spectacular, but I could NOT get a decent photo where it looked like something more appetizing than nuclear pond sludge. So just imagine that it's there...

Pumpkin French Toast

◘ 10 (more or less) slices really thick bread (slice your own homemade, or use store-bought baguettes.
◘ 1/3 cup cashews soaked overnight (if you remember to soak them, great!! If not, they won't blend up as smooth, but will still be fine)
◘ 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
◘ 3/4 cup Silk soy Chai or Pumpkin (or any soy chai or pumpkin flavored "milk", Bolthouse Farms makes one too)
◘ 1 tablespoon cornstarch
◘ 1/4 cup chickpea flour
◘ pinch salt
◘ 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
.
Blend cashews in a food processor until a paste starts to form (this can take a few minutes). Scrape down the sides then add Silk soy Chai and blend until you have a nice creamy "milk". Add pumpkin, cornstarch, chickpea flour, salt and oil and blend again, it should be thinner than pancake batter. If batter is too thick, add more soymilk, if it's too thin add more chickpea flour. Pour into shallow bowl.
Heat a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add a good teaspoon of oil and brush around.
Dip the bread slices in the mixture, let soak for a moment if you like your French Toast more moist, scrape off excess if you want (depending on how soft you like your French toast) and then transfer to the skillet.
Cook each side for about 2 min; if they are not brown enough when you flip them, heat for 1 to 2 more minutes on each side. They should be golden brown with flecks of dark brown.

Apple Cider Syrup

◘ 2 cups unfiltered apple cider
◘ 1/4 cup brown sugar
◘ 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance
◘ 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice

Combine ingredients, bring to a boil. Stir and keep to a low boil for five minutes or until syrup starts to thicken. Turn off, let cool somewhat and serve over waffles or pancakes.

6 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

That looks so good. I've never made FT with baguette before, good call. Your cider syrup sounds like it will rock my world, can't wait to try it!

Catherine Weber said...

oh yum . . . !

I've been eyeing those flavored Silks lately . . . I never just sit down and drink a glass of "milk," but those kind of make me want to! Chai? Pumpkin? Nog? Chocolate mint? Heck yeah!

k's mumbo jumbo said...

That looks amazing! I, too, love anything pumpkin and think that I may be trying this soon. Or making the hubby try it.

Debra said...

wow! this looks amazing!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good! Next time I make pancakes or waffles I will have to try your Apple Cider Syrup.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this sounds pretty great. Pumpkin Spice Silk is the best!