Monday, October 12, 2009

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

I just made a double batch of these snacky-crunchy-salty-spicy-toasty-tasty bits of yumminess on Saturday, supposedly for my daughter's school lunches this week. I wasn't terribly surprised to find them ALL gone this morning. Indian spiced, crunchy roasted chickpeas. You know they're the same as garbanzos, right?

Yes, I realize there are 565767 versions of these in every veggie cookbook and blog out there, I have no idea where I got the original idea.

Crunchy-Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

-- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained well and blotted dry
(Note: I have always cooked my own chickpeas/garbanzos from dry beans, so I have no idea how this would work with canned, but I am sure they'd be much the same..)
-- 2 tsp. olive oil
***
-- 1/2 tsp. Indian Black Salt (which adds a rich smoky, sulphuric Indian taste, or just use regular salt if that's all you have...)
-- 1/2 tsp. cumin
-- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
-- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
-- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
-- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less if you don't like things too spicy)
***Pretty much, just use 2 - 3 teaspoons of whatever spices you like. These just happen to be our favorites.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Toss the chickpeas with olive oil in a bowl, until coated. Then sprinkle on seasonings and spread chickpeas on a nonstick bakingsheet.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, stirring several times.

These make a great snack, salad topper, soup "crouton" or lunch-box staple. Try them and see how long they last around your house?!?

4 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I always make roasted chickpeas, in fact they are up on my blog right now! They are SO good, aren't they? And you are right, totally versatile. Thanks for the spice idea, sounds delicious.

Jen said...

i think i remember you made this post once before-(maybe it was someone else but i know i've seen this on a blog before), but it was so long ago i couldn't remember when you posted it so i could get the recipe. thanks for putting it up again for my review. this will make a great savory snack!

Debra said...

Thanks for this- will have to try them for my hubby!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Jen, I have posted these before. I am running some repeats for VeganMoFo month, recipes that people seem to ask for frequently.