Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pumpkin Scones

OK, so I found a recipe that was supposed to be just exactly like those yummy (but not vegan) Pumpkin Scones that Starbucks sells... I used to be in love with those things. Well, the recipe wasn't all that great, so I messed it all around and made them much better (if I do say so myself).


Yes, LOTS of ginger in these. But I'm a fan. And it's good for you!

PUMPKIN SCONES

1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (I use 1/2 white, so shoot me!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ginger powder
2 Tbsp. finely minced candied ginger
1 Tbsp. finely shredded/grated fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine
2 TB. coconut oil
2 cups pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, either is fine).

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and dry ginger and cinnamon).
Cut in margarine and coconut oil, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and candied and fresh ginger and combine well.
On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into two circles, a few inches thick.
Cut each circle into 5 or so fat triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.(Not that it matters if they're even.)

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
I usually sprinkle the tops with sugar before baking, or drizzle with an orange glaze or something if I'm feeling all Martha Stewart-y.

And while we're on the subject - here's a picture of an elk that's been nicknamed "Pumpkin Harry" by my friend Sunny.

He's been destroying the Halloween decorations on her back porch in Arizona...Bad Harry!! Hope the poor guy can figure out how to get those lights off his antlers. Sorry about your porch decorations though!!

Happy Pumpkin Days...

8 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Those scones look AWESOME! I love pumpkin anything so these will be getting made very soon. Thanks for the recipe.

Rose said...

They sound really great! Love pumpkin!

Debra said...

Looks good.. And poor Harry.
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Sophia said...

Everytime I go to Startbucks, I want to get one of those pumpkin scones. I never do though, but I might have to try one of these. They look great!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Bianca said...

Yummy! I love scones and I haven't any in ages. I'll have to give these a try!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow--that IS a lot of ginger! If one is not quite as crazy about ginger, could they cut it in half? Or leave one of the forms of ginger out all together? Or should I make it as written and see for myself if I like it as is, lol?!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

You are so damn cute, I love you! You have a great attitude and I think you are a great representative of the vegan community! And I love your recipes and blog! I have been using your recipes off of veggieboards for years. I hope that I can be a good vegan mom like you one day. <3 peace and love from canada!

Karyn said...

I made the pumpkin scones today and took them to a car show. They disappeared like magic!

They didn't self destruct during the baking process, like some scones & cakes do because of the elevation here. Woo Hoo!

Thank you for sharing the recipe! Its a keeper!