Saturday, October 17, 2009

Macaroni-N-Cheese in the Crockpot/Slowcooker

Have I mentioned I love my crock-pot?

I have an older model Rival of smallish capacity that I got 20+ years ago as a wedding gift.

I've always used it for beans and soup, but in the last few years, as our schedules have gotten crazier and my kids' appetites bigger, I've been explored several new (and most of them delicious) recipes that have become family favorites.
This only takes about 5 hours so I don't do it on days when I'm gone ALL day, but it's still worth it to come home from an afternoon of shopping and have creamy mac-n-cheese almost ready. Results can vary depending on what sort of slow-cooker/crock pot you have, it pays to try this once while you ARE home to see how it turns out. Seriously though... LOOK at this stuff, it's AWESOME!!

Crock-Pot Mac-N-Cheeze

Turn crockpot on high. Blend the following ingredients in the blender for 2 minutes until smooth:

1/2 cup very hot water
1/2 cup raw cashews

Add the following and blend another minute:

1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup quick oats
1 very small jar pimentos (about a Tbsp or two?)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 teaspoon Umeboshi vinegar (or lemon juice and a bit more salt)
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other margarine

Pour into crockpot. Rinse blender with 2 1/2 cups water and add to cooker.
Cook aprox 5 hours on low or 2 1/2 hours on high until sauce starts to boil in a few places around the edges. (If it isn't boiling on "low" after that time, turn to high.)

If not already on high, turn heat to high and quickly add:
1 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni, and 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheeze (any type you like will probably work OK here), and stir.
Do this and re-cover as quickly as possible so it retains the heat.
Cook on high for 45 - 55 more minutes (perfect time for while you make the rest of supper).

Uncover, stir again and let sit for 10 minutes or so for sauce to thicken. (At this point sometimes if I want to "fuss" I'll put some "melty" vegan cheese (usually rice slices or something) cheese on top, cover and heat another 20 min or so. Yum!

5 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

YUM! I've never thought about making mac and cheese in a crockpot. It looks so creamy and delicious, brilliant idea!

Debra said...

This looks great. I will have my daughters try it! Thanks
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Cynthia said...

Hey, that looks really good!

Clarissa Mansfield said...

This looks so tasty--you make me want to rush out and buy a crock pot just so I can try it! It is one of the few kitchen accessories I do not yet own. Maybe I should get one!

Amy said...

Ooo! Yay! I LOVE crockpot meals. We eat so many different things around here in the one meal it's insanity so anything I can put in the slow cooker and know the kids will eat it is a bonus! Bookmarked!!