Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Weekend Chipotle Tofu-Scramble



Hopefully many of you are enjoying the sun and a day or two off from your busy routine.

.


Brunch/breakfast this morning took on a Tex-Mex sorta theme with "Cheezy" Chipotle Tofu Scramble, roasted tomato salsa and some "bacon-like" homemade seitan.

.
The tofu is a little more detailed than my everyday throw-in-the-pan scramble, but my kids love the "cheezy-spicy-smokey" combination a lot.
.

Cheesy Chipotle Tofu Scramble

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I use more)
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
1 cup soymilk
1 tsp. cheap yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 an onion, chopped
1/2 a green or red bell pepper, minced
1 pkg. medium firm tofu, drained and crumbled
2 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp India Black Salt (for "eggy" flavor)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke or Bacon Salt
Chipotle pepper sauce, amount used depends on the brand and your preferences
1/4 tsp cayenne
Salt and Pepper (to taste)


Make the 'cheezy' sauce: In a medium sauce pan combine the first 5 ingredients. Heat the mixture over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
Remove from heat. Stir in the mustard and butter until combined and the butter is melted. Set aside. (This is also great in mac-n-cheese, etc...)
In a separate pan heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and then add your crumbled tofu.
Let it cook without turning a lot until you start to get some browned bits... add chopped onion and bell pepper.
Cook until tender and onions are mostly transparent. Set aside.
Add the turmeric, smoke flavor, black salt, chipotle, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and the cheese sauce. (The cayenne pepper is optional!)
Continue cooking over medium heat for a few minutes until everything is heated through. Serve alone, with tortillas or on toast! (I think some black beans and corn would have been AWESOME here too!!)


The roasted tomato salsa was just something from a jar but very tasty and a perfect compliment; the "seitan bacon" is THIS RECIPE HERE from "The Vegan Cooking Club" blog, (though I didn't layer everything to make it LOOK all streaked and bacon-y) ... so while it may not look like bacon, it still tastes good!

Other "long weekend" activities today have included tackling the big horrible jungle of a back yard (finally) in hopes of starting a small garden.
.
.
(Yes, there are raised garden beds back there somewhere near my daughter and the weed wacker...).

. .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..


I also scored at a garage sale with a HUGE box of Hotwheels for my youngest Sprout. She was so excited she said I HAD to post a picture, so there you go.

I'm off to take my Middle Sprout to work for a caterer tonight; this is her first time and she'll be serving at a wedding, she's excited and I'm so proud of her (though she wasn't entirely thrilled with the uniform white-shirt-black-pants ensemble... ("So formal and boring, Mom!!"). Pictures to follow!!

Have a great rest of your weekend!!

5 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

I just love tofu scramble!!! It is simple and oh-so-tasty! Happy Spring!

Alisa said...

mmm, that looks delicious .. and your broccoli soup reminded me of my own recipe that I haven't made in far too long!

Sophia said...

Its nice to see that I wasn't the only little girl in the world that liked hot wheels! Lol.
Your tofu scramble looks delish, and India black salt makes all the difference for a really great scramble!

I'm new and I'd love it if you would comment on my blog:
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Bethany said...

That's so funny that you were at the booth I was working at. might have been when I was walking around the market. I did also leave around 1:30 or so.

mmm... tofu scramble.

Nat said...

i wish i had read this sooner!! i could have used this today!! instead i made an ehhh..okay...bleh... stir fry from a recipe i wont' be using again. lol

sounds delicious, i'm gonna make this when i pick up more tofu. :o)