Monday, May 18, 2009

Crispy Tofu and Brown Gravy...

Cube well-drained, extra firm tofu, and toss with seasoned cornstarch. (That's just cornstarch mixed with a good dose of whatever you like - we used lemon pepper, cayenne, sage and a little salt).

Pan fry (yes... FRY!) until browned in a thin puddle of peanut oil, turning as needed.
Keep tofu cubes warm in a low oven.

Wipe out skillet to remove most of the excess oil and crumbs.

Make gravy:
Melt 2 Tbsp. margarine in the same skillet. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. flour over margarine, cook and stir over medium heat until tan-brown. Turn heat down and gradually stir in 1 cup soymilk, then flavor with 2 tsp veggie buillion powder ("beef" flavor if you have it, though veggie flavor is fine too), 1/2 tsp. sage and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
Stir (a wire whisk is best) until all browned flour is well incorporated. Whisk in 1/2 cup water. Increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 7 minutes. If it boils too hard, turn heat down a little. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.

Drizzle (or POUR) gravy over tofu. Enjoy.

10 comments:

Alisa said...

How in the world did you make tofu look so good?!

Courtney said...

that looks SO yummy! I might even try it topped w/ greanbeans & onions so replace meatloaf! Thanks for the idea!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

looks really good - i like tofu when it's cooked simply like that. yum.

Catherine Weber said...

mmmmmm . . . looks tasty delicious!

Rachel said...

Yum! I make fried tofu quite often but I use seasoned flour/wheat germ mix. I will now definitely try it with cornstarch instead. I usually use canola oil as well, but I'll give peanut oil a try. The best part is the gravy! I'm going to make that very soon. I usually serve with sweet chili sauce, but the gravy will be a nice change. Mashed potatoes might go nicely! Thanks for the recipe!

Bianca said...

That is my kinda meal right there. It's really amazing what cornstarch can do for tofu.

Chessa said...

Yum, that looks and sounds amazing! And easy. What a combo! Must make this soon. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Andrea said...

i feel kinda forced to try this NOW !
it looks great : D

Helen said...

Yummy. Crispy tofu and gravy. I am a huge fan of wet food - the more sauce the better!

egglesscooking said...

Hi Tofu Mom,I'm from the Veggie Boards forum.

This recipe is so tempting. My husband loves anything with tofu. I'm sure he would love this.