Saturday, February 14, 2009

Red Devil's Food (or Red Velvet) Cupcakes


Hello, Happy Valentine's and a million "absent-blogger" excuses I'm not going to bore you with.
No long introductory story, here's the cupcakes we made for my daughter's school Valentine's party yesterday.
She really wanted Red Devil's Food cupcakes, but being without a recipe, I improvised. This is a regular vegan chocolate "buttermilk" cake recipe that I combined with my old (not-vegan) Red Devil's Food Cake recipe. Turned out pretty good!!
I suppose everyone made these for Valentine's, so we aren't real original, but they were festive and fun. Enjoy!


Red Devil's Food (or Red Velvet) Cupcakes

2-1/2 cups white flour
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup magarine
1/4 cup oil
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 ounces red food coloring (or I've heard of people using beet juice but I've never tried it)


Preheat oven to 350.

In a cup pour the non-dairy milk and lemon juice.

Let sit for a while, this is like your "buttermilk".

Cream together the oil, margarine and sugar, then add applesauce.

In a small bowl mix together cocoa and food coloring until it's paste-like. Add it to the creamed mixture.

Mix the salt and flour together and add it to the batter alterately with the 'buttermilk' in a couple batches. Add vanilla extract.

Mix in baking soda and vinegar. Stir well.

Pour batter into greased or papered cupcake tins and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Frost when cool.


Frosting:

1 - 2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
8 oz. vegan "cream cheese" (I use Tofutti brand)
1/4 C vegan margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 non-dairy milk
Chopped nuts or sprinkles as desired


Mix cream cheese and softened margarine together. Add 1 cup sugar to start, and vanilla and milk.

Mixture will be very soft, add more powdered sugar as needed to make a spreadable consistancy. Spread on cooled cupcakes. Garnish with chopped nuts or sprinkles if you want.
Hope your Valentine's was fun, and spent with people you love.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Mmmmm I'm always up for drooling over cupcakes and if they have chocolate in them...even better!

Hope you had a good day!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Absolutely amazing and perfect for Valentine's Day. Thank you so much for the recipe, these are definitely going to impress my sweetie!

Alisa said...

Welcome back! Those cupcakes look amazing!

Veggie Cookster said...

Ooooooh, that frosting looks to luscious! Now I'm wishing I had made cupcakes for Valentine's Day, LOLOL

Nicole said...

Mmmm, incredible! I wish I could snatch these right off the screen.

Virginia said...

i used to LOVE red velvet cake but haven't had any since going vegan. i may have to remedy this!

urban vegan said...

I adore red velvet cuppers...so very NYC.

aTxVegn said...

Red velvet cake is soooo good! Perfect for V-day!