Friday, October 03, 2008

Stuffed Mushrooms

OK, so you're having a potluck at work and want to bring something tasty and easy and, of course... VEGAN, right? Something that'll shut up the skeptics and won't scare off the timid.

Here ya go. Stuffed mushrooms. They're my default for most potlucks because they go together fast and everyone is terribly impressed! I've used several recipes in the past, but this one seems the best, so far.

Stuffed Mushrooms

24 baby bella or large button mushrooms, with stems
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for baking dish
1-2 (or more!) large garlic cloves, put thru garlic press
1 tsp dried sage
1 cup pecans, hazelnuts (or walnuts if you must - but I hate walnuts, just sayin'), finely chopped
2 Tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup soymilk
2 Tbsp. silken tofu

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Separate caps and stems of mushrooms, reserving both.
Arrange caps, stemmed sides up, in an oiled 13"x 9" shallow baking dish.
Finely chop stems (in food processor), then cook with garlic and sage in olive oil on medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in nuts, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
Blend soymilk and silken tofu in food proceessor or with immersion blender to a creamy consistancy.
Stir milk mixture into stems/garlic and bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. If it's too moist, add a few more breadcrumbs.
Sprinkle insides of caps with a little salt then divide filling among the caps.
Bake until filling is browned and caps are tender, about 30 minutes. If they start to dry out, cover pan with foil, removing just to let them brown...
YUM!

10 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE stuffed vegetable dishes, so I'm all over those stuffed mushrooms!! Your recipes are always fabulous :0)

Carrie said...

I'll have to try this out...I have yet to find a vegan stuffed mushroom recipe that I like, but I am very eager to do so as I love them so much.

Annie said...

Those look delicious!! I'm definitely going to try them, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow do these look great Tofu Mom!

Cynthia said...

So meaty good!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you check older posts for comments, so I thought I would leave this here. I just made the seiatn recipe with the tapioca replacing some of the gluten, and it is fabulous! Thanks for the suggestion! I like it more tender and not quite as dense, and this was perfect!

Courtney

PS the mushrooms look great!

VeganView said...

Thank goodness for another non-microwave owner! It seems I am going to have to get my ass to Seattle soon for some donut love.
Those mushrooms look incredible! I think these will have to be an appetizer for Thanksgiving :)

half pint pixie said...

They look fantastic! Putting them on the top my list (VegnMoFo is forcing me to have a ridiculously long must-cook list) :)

Melinda said...

Ok, I'm late to the game, but these look sooooooo good!

Lydia said...

These are FANTASTIC, my goodness... I made them last night and they where loved by the three of us who ate them. THANK YOU!!